Discuss Hi guys, I am interested to buy BS 62305 a standard for lightning design and assessment. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you want a full copy of the standard, the only legitimate way of obtaining it is to purchase from a standards supplier, eg BSI or IHS etc as above. You shouldn't be able to find a copy on the internet (for copyright reasons). As a student you may have access through a college or university library.

Some Public Libraries have copies of British Standards in their reference section,so if you just want to research it (you have to do this in the library building) that might be worth checking out.

It is permitted to create summaries of the copyright material, so you might find explanatory material on the internet that helps you understand the requirements, such as this:
Edit - I just noticed this is referenced in the above document - may be a better overview:

But if you need all the clauses you will need to buy it for £350 ☹️

Last edited:
If it is just for a bit of study then ask you local library, though if it is "reference" you won't be allowed to take it home. Cheapest by far!

If you actually need it for professional work then really you need to buy a legitimate copy. If anything went wrong and it turned out you could not prove you had the official standard needed it would look very bad indeed.

Similar as an electrician, you really need a copy of the regs (BS 7671), but also the IET On-Site Guide is highly recommended as it is far easier to find the stuff you need for 90% of the time, and the tables of standard circuit lengths/methods saves the time and risk of errors in circuit design for all but the oddest of setups.

To add to those if you can afford it are the IET's Guidance Notes, in particular #3 and #8 covers many of the questions that crop up here.

Best place to get those is the official IET site, not cheap, but if working professionally then the books are only a fraction of a percent of your annual income.

Finally the free Best Practice Guides are things you (and anyone else doing electrical stuff) should download and read at some point:

A simpler link to BSI is this:

I have thought of jointing the BIS to get them cheaper, but so far lacked the time (or will to live) to work out how many of their standards I would need to be buying to make it pay.

Similar as an electrician, you really need a copy of the regs (BS 7671), but also the IET On-Site Guide is highly recommended as it is far easier to find the stuff you need for 90% of the time, and the tables of standard circuit lengths/methods saves the time and risk of errors in circuit design for all but the oddest of setups.
Apologies to @Faraz Ahmad as I later noticed the location is Pakistan so the UK regulations are not directly applicable.

However, the on-site guide is good general guidance and the free BPG are still worth a read over, even if they are not directly applicable to Pakistani electrical work.

I must also commend Pakistan for making their standard freely available, if only BSI did the same!

I must also commend Pakistan for making their standard freely available, if only BSI did the same!
Thanks for reminding me PC - it's true some countries issue their own versions of IEC and EN etc standards, so would be worth researching such sources. However if using the content in a professional capacity, eg making design decisions based on what you read, you should be using the source material from the applicable country.

And I'm not condoning this, but happened across http://zinoglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/IEC-62305-1.pdf

Reply to Hi guys, I am interested to buy BS 62305 a standard for lightning design and assessment. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net