Discuss Hi/Lo LED lights inter-linkable, or similar solution? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sg86

Hi,

I'm looking to install 4 outside lights across the front of our house, and i would really like them to be very "green". So i came across Hi/Lo lights, there is a range called P-Lux sold by scldirect.co.uk.

The probably is they are totally independent of each other, so depending on the photocell they may switch on with a slight delay between them, and won't all change to full brightness if only one unit's sensor is set off.

Just wondering if someone could advise on a driver for LEDs that would switch from 25% dim to 100% for example, and somewhere that sells modern outside dimmable LED wall lights. I would like to wire the light feeds off a central PIR, photocell, level dimmable control unit :D

thanks!

Hi lo PIR sensors are not conveniently available, except as a few PIR lights such as those mentioned.

You should be aware that running the lights all the time in the hours of darkness (even at a reduced power) is not very green.
Obviously if they need to be on all the time then this is unavoidable.
Options available are:
To have a internal lighting control system that is enclosed in a clear waterproof containment. Expensive.
To have a single Hi-Lo light and rewire the output to feed multiple lamps, if the controller can take the current.
Have a PIR sensor (with photocell) controlling a double throw relay that is connected to a dimmer (NC) or direct (NO).

There are a few dimmable LED outside wall lights available, or you could use standard wall lights and fit dimmable LED lamps in them.

Hi lo PIR sensors are not conveniently available, except as a few PIR lights such as those mentioned.

You should be aware that running the lights all the time in the hours of darkness (even at a reduced power) is not very green.
Obviously if they need to be on all the time then this is unavoidable.
Options available are:
To have a internal lighting control system that is enclosed in a clear waterproof containment. Expensive.
To have a single Hi-Lo light and rewire the output to feed multiple lamps, if the controller can take the current.
Have a PIR sensor (with photocell) controlling a double throw relay that is connected to a dimmer (NC) or direct (NO).

There are a few dimmable LED outside wall lights available, or you could use standard wall lights and fit dimmable LED lamps in them.

Hi,

Yes as i say in my OP i'm happy to put the driver/control gear somewhere in an enclosure, i have a place for this. What i'm really trying to find out is what control gear i need and is out there to perform what i want.

OSRAM do a "4dim" product i think its called, and this seems like it may be what i'm after, just think it maybe a bit over the top for my use case. Maybe someone else here has done something similar and knows of a controller/driver that does this?

Your idea about a double throw relay connected to a dimmer sounds interesting, any chance you could expand on that and suggest a dimmer that supports LED dimming methods? I've had a little read and it seems that you just need to match the dimming method to the LEDs you are using, but not quite sure what to search for

LEDs generally work best on a trailing edge pulse width modulation dimmer.
They will not work well on a standard resistive dimmer.
If you know which manufacturer of LED light bulb you want you may be able to search for a dimmer compatibility list that provides information on which dimmers work with their LED light bulbs.
The relay idea was just a way of attempting to simplify the problem without buying expensive kit. It should work but is just a theoretical plan.
PIR light and relay for high low operation.jpg

LEDs generally work best on a trailing edge pulse width modulation dimmer.
They will not work well on a standard resistive dimmer.
If you know which manufacturer of LED light bulb you want you may be able to search for a dimmer compatibility list that provides information on which dimmers work with their LED light bulbs.
The relay idea was just a way of attempting to simplify the problem without buying expensive kit. It should work but is just a theoretical plan.
View attachment 31329

Hi, that's a smart idea thanks for drawing it up. Cost aside though, what would a "kit" be called that would take a few switches (PC, PIR) etc and output the two levels of dim?

Maybe i'm asking too much, i just thought with tech these days there would be a controller out there that supported this functionality. Trust me, i have tried searching, but i think my keywords are lacking :D

Some of the led lights i'm looking at support all ranges of dim methods, i think its better to find the controller first, and then find a light that would be compatible, as so far i've found no controllers lol. I spoke with osram, they have some but are only for OEM, at least they'll only give information on installation to them

I didn't end up finding the bits i needed to do this. I'm struggling to find an outside wall mounted "pillar up/down" style fitting that is LED and dimable? Am i better off just buying a GU10 fitting then and buying an LED replacement? I just didn't think this was the best solution.

Just buy an outside Hi-LO LED light fitting note the level of load that is suitable for the unit so that you can be sure that your LEDS, that you have not yet determined, will work with the system.
Take the fitting apart and remove the control circuitry from the fitting and enclose these controls in a suitable weatherproof enclosure, then feed the standard gu10 pillar up down lights with replaceable dimmable LED lamps from these controls.
OR contact ASD lighting (for instance) and ask if they have a HI-LO control system available off the shelf.

Just buy an outside Hi-LO LED light fitting note the level of load that is suitable for the unit so that you can be sure that your LEDS, that you have not yet determined, will work with the system.
Take the fitting apart and remove the control circuitry from the fitting and enclose these controls in a suitable weatherproof enclosure, then feed the standard gu10 pillar up down lights with replaceable dimmable LED lamps from these controls.
OR contact ASD lighting (for instance) and ask if they have a HI-LO control system available off the shelf.

Now thats an interesting way to look at doing it :D. For sure, i'll see if i can find a light that could handle more load than its designed for, you never know :)

On another note though, i've received an email back from manufacturer, it seems i can use this dimmer? http://www.tridonic.com/com/en/download/data_sheets/DALI_PCD_1-300_one4all_en.pdf

Do i understand the spec correctly that i can link 3 of these together, supply goes to fittings, and then i can connect a PIR on the switchDIM line to D1/D2 terminals?

Reply to Hi/Lo LED lights inter-linkable, or similar solution? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net