Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Hi there. Advice required please. in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. George Burnett

George Burnett New EF Member

Looking for a bit advice on using a 110v dewalt reciprocating saw on a 240v source, obviously I know nothing about electric so thought I'd ask. Mate said it would be ok to cut the 110v plug off and put a normal 240v plug on and it would be ok but thought I'd be better getting some advice from people that know what they'e on about.

Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

You need a 230/110v isolating transformer. Connecting it direct to a 230v source will end its life.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Don't do that Mate you need a 230/110 transformer, connecting you nice 110volt saw to 230 would result in a burnt out saw.
    Screwfix, Tool station or any good builders supplier would be able to source one for you. Dont connect it to 230v please.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

The above posts pretty much sum it up.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. George Burnett

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

6. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Your 'mate' sounds like a bit of a joker.
    Go get a230/110v transformer. The bigger the better. Then swing it at his face

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    like this:

[​IMG]
    and your mate is a COCK.

8. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

If you can lift it!

9. George Burnett

To be honest I would never have bought it if I knew it was 110v as 90% of my tools are cordless anyway, thought this was 240v cabled until I opened it.

He's going to get me a transformer he said so I'll wait and see.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

10. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    just get a transformer. if you want to work on site 110V is the norm. all my tools (except cordless) are 110V, try poking 100 25mm holes through 4" joists with a cordless drill.you'll soon realise the benefit of 110V.