Discuss Hi-Tuff or similar for external lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll be needing to add an external light (new circuit from CU) on the house wall. Will probably run hi-tuff or NYY-J. 1.5 T&E. I haven't used that stuff before. It will be clipped direct externally (about 2M above the ground).

The internal part of the circuit back to switch is only about 3M so it's scarcely worth terminating internal T&E and joining in the Hi-Tuff on the outer wall.

So if I were to run it through from internal switch in one piece, that precludes the need for external conduit or terminal boxes.

• What's this cable like to handle? (ie bending). - Would it run into a internal pattress box without too much problem?
  • I am assuming the Hi-Tuff would be tough enough to run directly across the wall cavity without additional protection conduit? (I would angle it downwards to the outer leaf. Cavity is filled. I would not anticipate playing with any sort "drip loop".
  • Bend radius will be big-ish, so what would you do on external bends round the corner of brickwork? - or where the cable exits the external side of the wall?
  • What sort of gland where cable enters extrenal luminaire (which is TBD).

Justin

Hi, ive used 1.2 T+E SWA and glanded it into adaptable boxes then run a sweat gland from the base of the box with a short run of cable to your luminaire the customer liked it and safety of external cable sorted

Hi Glennspark.

That was one of my points. Yes Thanks I will be doing that I think. Not having handled it, I didn'tknow how easy it would squeeze into back boxes. Sounds OK from whay you and Gary say.
Ta.

Reply to Hi-Tuff or similar for external lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net