Discuss High Ze causing headache ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No need to convert to TT

leave it as TN-C-S and you can still use 0.4s / 5s but add rcd as fault protection where required.
Just to check Julie.... how does this work on my EIC please?
My recorded Zs reading for the BS88 will be higher then the max Zs reading of 0.40
Thanks Simon

Just to check Julie.... how does this work on my EIC please?
My recorded Zs reading for the BS88 will be higher then the max Zs reading of 0.40
Thanks Simon
Fill it in with the correct values, but in notes/remarks add something like "ads achieved via rcd as fault protection " - according to each circuit that needs it, for example lighting circuits probably achieve ads with the mcb so don't need it.

Then in 3.1 the last line rcd as fault protection should be ticked (and ideally the appropriate circuit number added - so rfc downstairs, shower... whatever).

You would still need to tick rcd as additional protection as a house requires it for lighting, sockets etc anyhow

Fill it in with the correct values, but in notes/remarks add something like "ads achieved via rcd as fault protection " - according to each circuit that needs it, for example lighting circuits probably achieve ads with the mcb so don't need it.

Then in 3.1 the last line rcd as fault protection should be ticked (and ideally the appropriate circuit number added - so rfc downstairs, shower... whatever).

You would still need to tick rcd as additional protection as a house requires it for lighting, sockets etc anyhow
Brilliant thanks - got it now, always learning 🙏

I don't know if you use particular software, but you may have to jump through a couple of hoops if the software blocks or alerts in the case where Zsmax is exceeded - but that would depend on the software itself.

I don't know if you use particular software, but you may have to jump through a couple of hoops if the software blocks or alerts in the case where Zsmax is exceeded - but that would depend on the software itself.
Use Easycert... but sure there is a work around.
Failing have used the Niceic ones direct on their website before

My bad, it isn't only concerned with protective conductors:

A fault occurring at any point in a circuit shall be interrupted within a time such that the fault current does not cause the permitted limiting temperature of any conductor or cable to be exceeded.
Nice one, that's the reg and the one that often gets fell foul of.

Even changing to TT, I assume at

I wouldn't add a note, BS7671 accepts an rcd can be used for fault protection.

No chance of using a BS88-2 63A fuse? I've have access to three different MFT, never got a matching Ze reading from any combination of them. One (Fluke) is always higher than the other two (Megger) with it not unusual to see a difference of up to 0.2 between the Meggers and the Fluke.

Be interested to see what the Zs is when the installation is completed as apposed to the Ze.

I've have access to three different MFT, never got a matching Ze reading from any combination of them. One (Fluke) is always higher than the other two (Megger) with it not unusual to see a difference of up to 0.2 between the Meggers and the Fluke.
I am going to try our other ones... we've got couple of other Meggers - be interesting to see

It was on the IET forum about why we should not use adiabatic for fault currents operating devices <0.1S or >5S. I couldn't remember but just found it again on there.

Going over 5S was more straightforward. Because the adiabatic is simplified it does not allow for heat loss, this results in artificially high csa's
The 5s is somewhat arbitrary and related to the ADS regs. In reality the issue is as you say, the CSA becomes larger than necessary as it is not accounting for heat loss (i.e. it is not really adiabatic). So it is a safe option, but a sanity check is if the computed CSA is larger than the necessary line conductor to match the CCC limit of the OCPD then you really have gone beyond the limit!
Going under 0.1s was more complex. 0.1S is 5 cycles of the supply waveform and going below that could give rise to greater currents than calculated due to the waveform being asymmetric and becoming distorted.
Sort of. What you see in the time/current plots is typically known as "virtual time" and it is the equivalent time at that PFC leading to the same I2t let-through. In reality, and especially for fuses that are quite energy-limiting, the time on the plot can be uses with tolerable accuracy even allowing for varying phase angle of the fault.

So while you might see an extraordinary short time like 10-100us listed at high PFCs, in reality the fuse arcs for longer but is limiting the current so you don't see anything like the PFC flowing. That is also seen on the plots of peak fault current where it is much lower than you get from MCB/MCCB.

I know a lot of people feel designing a circuit on a TN system and relying on a rcd for fault protection is a bad design but this is twaddle and this thread is a good example, a high Ze but even so it is still acceptable.
I would normally avoid relying on RCD if reasonably possible, but as you say where the only sane technical solution is RCD then it is perfectly good.

Same for the earlier comment about going TT, it is much better in most cases to have the low TN supply Ze used, even if it is not quite low enough for the sub-main, as it means the final circuits are likely to disconnect on OCPD alone which is a small extra reliability gain, as well as having lower touch potential during any fault.

New supply in from DNO is PME, but we have Ze of 0.51

We’ve run a SWA sub-main across to house DB 25metres away, but struggling on suitable overcurrent protection. Even at 80amps BS 88…. Max EFLI 0.40!

Actually there is something more fundamentally wrong here. If it is TN-C-S then, unless there is something very bad at the cut out, the supply Ze is the same as the supply impedance. With 0.51 ohms and 80A you would be seeing 40.5V drop in the incoming supply! That is more than the ESQCR limits of +10% -6% on 230V

Are you sure it is actually rated above 60A anyway? I think more discussion with the DNO is needed.

Actually there is something more fundamentally wrong here. If it is TN-C-S then, unless there is something very bad at the cut out, the supply Ze is the same as the supply impedance. With 0.51 ohms and 80A you would be seeing 40.5V drop in the incoming supply! That is more than the ESQCR limits of +10% -6% on 230V

Are you sure it is actually rated above 60A anyway? I think more discussion with the DNO is needed.
Ok so I may have a case then..... assuming DNO have to comply with ESQCR? (not something I'm familiar with being honest)

Its got to be above 60a (for size of property) going to get the Client to dig out the original paperwork from when had it installed.

Reply to High Ze causing headache ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock