Discuss High Zs reading in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jacko

-
Reaction score
Hello,

looking for some advice on 2 things please.

Ive tested a ring main in a house with RCD protection, the results ive had are

L-L .43
N-N . 41
E-E 1.17

I had a look for a loose connection but can’t find anything, how high does the CPC reading need to be before you would consider it ‘to high’?

the second question is regarding the same circuit, they have a fuse spur fed from one of the sockets and then have 6 x double sockets after the fuse spur. The last 3 are out door and the last socket on the ‘radial’ gives a Zs reading of 1.64.

Am I right in saying max Zs should be 1.08? Is the high reading due to the distance on the run after the fuse spur?

Is the reading acceptable?

the reading on all sockets were lower than .71 until the last 3 outside which are run using SWA cable.

thanks

Is this an old install with 1.0mm cpc?
Roughly for the figures given for the L&N, cable length would calculate to approx 62 metres
the cpc should calculate to approx 0.72 for a 1.5mm and 1.08 for a 1.0mm
you may even get a lower reading on the cpc if there are any parallel earth paths.

Agree with above those readings indicate 1.0/1.0 cpcs if they are not then the r2 reading is way too high.

The generic values for the cpc compared to the live conductors is 'live value' x ( live x-section/cpc x-section)

So
2.5/1.5 = 1.667 as above
2.5/1.0 = 2.5 ( with 0.41 gives 1.025)

How are you calculating the Zs as 1.08?

In the ring r1 + r2 should be (R1+R2)/4
This should be added to the Ze value to give the r1 + r2 for all sockets on the ring, but the radial off the ring would not be this value.
It would be this value plus the measured r1 + r2 of the radial portion.
Whatever value you get for the zs on the radial may be above the allowed value for the OCPD feeding the ring, but below the allowed value for the 13A fuse

The generic values for the cpc compared to the live conductors is 'live value' x ( live x-section/cpc x-section)

So
2.5/1.5 = 1.667 as above

This should be added to the Ze value to give the r1 + r2 for all sockets on the ring, but the radial off the ring would not be this value.
Whatever value you get for the zs on the radial may be above the allowed value for the OCPD feeding the ring, but below the allowed value for the 13A fuse
Sorry, just realised I got that wrong:

"In the ring r1 + r2 should be (R1+R2)/4
This should be added to the Ze value to give the r1 + r2 for all sockets on the ring"

Should be
This should be added to the Ze value to give the Zs for all sockets on the ring.

It would be this value plus the measured r1 + r2 of the radial portion for the Zs at the end of the radial.

Typo unfortunately, I knew what I meant to say... oops

That and I am an idiot

Sorry, just realised I got that wrong:

"In the ring r1 + r2 should be (R1+R2)/4
This should be added to the Ze value to give the r1 + r2 for all sockets on the ring"

Should be
This should be added to the Ze value to give the Zs for all sockets on the ring.

It would be this value plus the measured r1 + r2 of the radial portion for the Zs at the end of the radial.

Typo unfortunately, I knew what I meant to say... oops

That and I am an idiot
Hi Julie. I think you may also have got your lower and upper cases mixed up...
Sorry to be such a pedant.

Hi Julie. I think you may also have got your lower and upper cases mixed up...
Sorry to be such a pedant.
Yeah, I started to follow the terminology used in the original post, then realised I shouldn't have.

Bad day today

Walking boots leaked, then slipped on the ice and snow and slid down the hill like a clown, much to my husband's amusement!

Hasn't got any better since then!!!

Yeah, I started to follow the terminology used in the original post, then realised I shouldn't have.

Bad day today

Walking boots leaked, then slipped on the ice and snow and slid down the hill like a clown, much to my husband's amusement!

Hasn't got any better since then!!!
❄️ Wish we had some snow.

the second question is regarding the same circuit, they have a fuse spur fed from one of the sockets and then have 6 x double sockets after the fuse spur. The last 3 are out door and the last socket on the ‘radial’ gives a Zs reading of 1.64.
Hi - the max loop impedance for BS1362 fuses can be found in BBB Table 41.2 (d) . This gives 2.3 Ohms for 13A, so 80% is 1.84 Ohms. So looks ok :) .

So
2.5/1.5 = 1.667 as above

It says on the inside of my EICR certificate book that 1.08 is the max Zs value allowed on a type B 32 amp MCB. Is that correct?

if the radial off the ring via the spur is higher than 1.08 but less than the allowed value after a 13amp fuse, which value would you write on the test form?
Thanks

Is this an old install with 1.0mm cpc?
Roughly for the figures given for the L&N, cable length would calculate to approx 62 metres
the cpc should calculate to approx 0.72 for a 1.5mm and 1.08 for a 1.0mm
you may even get a lower reading on the cpc if there are any parallel earth paths.
I’m not there now but I think it was 2.5/1.5 cable but you have got me thinking now.

there was 2 rings in the house, the other readings were
L .54
N.53
E.91

that looks like what I would expect for 2.5/1.5 cable. The house was built 14/15 years ago

It says on the inside of my EICR certificate book that 1.08 is the max Zs value allowed on a type B 32 amp MCB. Is that correct?

if the radial off the ring via the spur is higher than 1.08 but less than the allowed value after a 13amp fuse, which value would you write on the test form?
Thanks
Yes, that would be the correct limit for the ring and the spur up to the fuse.

From the fuse onwards, it isn't protected by the mcb, but by the fuse, so you need to use the appropriate value for that, think it's about 80% of 2.3 ohm, I haven't got my book around.

As for the eic/eicr depends on your software, but I would add an additional line below the rfc entry (no circuit in the cu) detailing the radial off the rfc as a seperate entity but not from the cu mcb

The use of 2.5/1.0 was around the metric versions of the 14th I think, way more than 15 years ago unless there was another phase of use

Last edited:
Yes, that would be the correct limit for the ring and the spur up to the fuse.

From the fuse onwards, it isn't protected by the mcb, but by the fuse, so you need to use the appropriate value for that, think it's about 80% of 2.3 ohm, I haven't got my book around.

As for the eic/eicr depends on your software, but I would add an additional line below the rfc entry (no circuit in the cu) detailing the radial off the rfc as a seperate entity but not from the cu mcb

The use of 2.5/1.0 was around the 14th I think, way more than 15 years ago unless there was another phase of use
Thank you for your help.

I think I should look again for the loose connection on the CPC, I’m pretty sure the cable is 2.5-1.5.

does the result have to be within 1.67 or is it allowed to be slightly over? I was told 1.67 is what we would expect to see so when would you start to look into it?

Reply to High Zs reading in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net