Discuss High Zs values (Just) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 9648

Given that Amd3 reduced max Zs values slightly what is everyone coding if a measured reading falls between the pre Amd3 value and the post Amd3 value. Failure to meet disconnection times would normally be a code 2, but a code 3 seems appropriate here......maybe a note to explain? On E-certs it will show a measured reading exceeding the maximum value given in the schedule.
Just seems silly that not long back a reading met disconnection times and now it doesn't, nothing has actually changed.

hmm. if you consider the load on the circuit as opposed to the In of the OCPD, then you can assume that the cable may never reach 70 deg.C and so no need to apply the 0.8 temp. correction. tin hat glued in place.

I’m not sure we have any wiggle room to be honest when using max zs values.
It is what it is for the British standard to what it complies to or what the manufacturers state if asked.
I would apply a C2 if you can’t meet the stated disconnection times stated in bs7671 ie 0.4 or 5 seconds for TN arrangements.

This is what frustrates me about coding .It was fine last year no code but this year its dangerous ( according the regs), No saying that I would give it a code 2 as it was poorly designed in the first place if it was so close the the maximum permitted value, My reasoning for this is we are finding things all the time that were fine years ago but now with more knowledge are finding out things are not so safe ( asbestos for example) .I have always given code 3 for no RCD protection for cables burred in wall , but the other day a contractor got an electric shock because someone had screwed up a metal display unit and one if the screws went straight into the live conductor of the twin and earth cable making the unit live (No rcd protection ) so now i`m thinking should I be giving cables burred in walls less that 50mm a code 2

Perhaps it's low current (no trip) earth loop measurement inaccuracy? And you could mark it for Further Investigation?

I’m not sure we have any wiggle room to be honest when using max zs values.
It is what it is for the British standard to what it complies to or what the manufacturers state if asked.
I would apply a C2 if you can’t meet the stated disconnection times stated in bs7671 ie 0.4 or 5 seconds for TN arrangements.
Asking because this exact scenario has cropped up today, going with a code 3 and a note because I cant bring myself to state an installation that was compliant 3 years ago is now potentially dangerous. A further complication is that on E-certs the measured value will exceed the stated max value hence the need for a note I feel. Where this crops up in future I'll need to refer to pre Amd3 regs as well as the new if I take the code3 approach.
It's a bloody minefield.

T
Asking because this exact scenario has cropped up today, going with a code 3 and a note because I cant bring myself to state an installation that was compliant 3 years ago is now potentially dangerous. A further complication is that on E-certs the measured value will exceed the stated max value hence the need for a note I feel. Where this crops up in future I'll need to refer to pre Amd3 regs as well as the new if I take the code3 approach.
It's a bloody minefield.
Thats your call but the cmin factor was added in to provide compliance with the scenario of a drop in supply voltage.
I hear you about changes that now make installations potentially dangerous, just look at the wiring in escape routes headache and now the 18th will introduce metal supports against premature collapse to the entire installation

Hasn't happened to me yet but the EICR i am currently doing (industrial) has always been at the ragged edge as i cannot convince the local electricians to go up a size in cable for long runs, however they produce their own LV on-site with auto tap changes so i wont be coding anything just because of the AMD3 changes to a voltage i have yet to actual see (ever , anywhere) concrete hat on, lol

Reply to High Zs values (Just) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net