Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Hopefully there’s somebody out there? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Andrew1889

Andrew1889 EF Member

Hello everyone I’m currently looking to get into the trade and hoping that someone in the Yorkshire area could point me in the right direction.

I’m 29 and currently looking at changing my career of which I plan to start college later this year to eventually become a qualified electrician.

In the interim I’m looking for experience of which I’m willing to work for free for and in particular work on a Saturday/Sunday in the West Yorkshire area ideally but I am more than willing to travel. I am willing to work on a voluntary basis and at any time.

I have my own transport, tools are something I am willing to provide myself as best as I can while trying to build up as I go but I do have some of the basics (VDE screwdrivers, pliers, side snips, wire strippers, hammer, tape measure, small level and a set of just basic 10v drills). Like I say I am willing to add before starting if I need to and will be doing anyway as I gain further experience and knowledge.

It would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction or any advice you can give would be highly appreciated.

Any advice or potential work experience offerings please contact me.

Thank you,
    Andrew
    A hopeful sparky

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2018
  2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Edit that and remove your phone number.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Done ,... please contact OP by PM

4. Andrew1889

Andrew1889 EF Member

Thank you for that. Hopefully a few come through. :)

5. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Wha do you do currently and why do you want to be an electrician?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Andrew1889

Andrew1889 EF Member

I do something completely different at the moment. It’s something I have wanted to do for a while but never have. As I’m getting older time is running out.

I used to work as a plumber a long time ago but unfortunately at the last hurdle I never got to finish the course due to recession.

7. SWD

If you trained as a plumber can you still complete the training then work as a plumber and train to be an electrician whilst working, it means you can take on various jobs. A friend of mine is qualified in both areas.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tes369

Tes369 Regular EF Member

I wouldn't waste your time training to be an Electrician there's no money in it anymore stick to plumbing.

The Banksman/Slinger on my site is on £18.50hr and he's useless I think that's a day course it was when I did mine.

And the machine driver is on over £20hr.

Electrician (agency) rates are really bad at the moment i know its that time of year but still bad.

I subcontract direct to an electrical contractor everybodies waiting for jobs to start and funding to be released I know loads of sparks out of work very good ones.

Cheers

9. SWD

Jeeeez £20 per hour, thats low.

10. Tes369

Tes369 Regular EF Member

Not for sitting on your ar#e all day playing with your Tonka toy

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Andrew1889

Andrew1889 EF Member

That was a long time ago. The only way would be to start again really.