Discuss House rewire - Electrician won't issue installation certificate(?) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AndrewLeo

DIY
Reaction score
We've recently had a house rewired. There was about 2 years between first fix and second fix due to the pandemic and as the house was being extensively renovated, but all work was completed by last November, by the same electrician. He is NICEIC & part P registered.

He hasn't supplied the installation certificate, despite being asked repeatedly over several months. We also don't have a building compliance certificate, so I assume he hasn't notified building control.

I'm looking to rent out the property within the next couple of months, - how important is this paperwork and What can I do if he goes on stalling?

Are you sure the electrician is still with NICEIC? I heard quite a few dropped their membership during the last 2 years, to save costs, and if that were the case, would no longer have access to the online notification to Building Control.

Are you sure the electrician is still with NICEIC? I heard quite a few dropped their membership during the last 2 years, to save costs, and if that were the case, would no longer have access to the online notification to Building Control.
Yes, - he's still listed as a contractor on their website.

Have you payed the electrician for the work already?

You can likely check online for yourself if there has been a building control notification for your property (via local council website). Assuming the installation was actually tested, and he hasn't lost the test results, there should be no reason not to issue the certificate.

Re renting the property, you can have an inspection & test carried out, with an EICR issued, but that is an extra expense you shouldn't have to pay.

You can likely check online for yourself if there has been a building control notification for your property (via local council website). Assuming the installation was actually tested, and he hasn't lost the test results, there should be no reason not to issue the certificate.

Re renting the property, you can have an inspection & test carried out, with an EICR issued, but that is an extra expense you shouldn't have to pay.

Thank you, - I've looked and can't find anything. When he last contacted me (about a week ago) he said that one of his former employees has the paperwork from testing, and he needs to try and get them from him, or he'll have to come back and re-test, but he's been saying that since January.

If he was willing to come back and re-test would he be able to inform building control then, or not as it's been so long since the work was completed? - I'm slightly worried about not having that certificate, as I know it can cause problems with selling.

When he last contacted me (about a week ago) he said that one of his former employees has the paperwork from testing, and he needs to try and get them from him, or he'll have to come back and re-test, but he's been saying that since January.
the alarm bells would start ring ,in fact big ben ,tell him you will now looking at get legal advice on you next step.

The 'job' is not finished until you have your certificate in your hand

I always tells friends and family who are using a builder or A another electrician to hold back 10% of the job total until you have all the certs in their possession

An EICR should satisfy letting requirements in the short term but if you wish to sell conveyancers etc are grandually becoming switched on to laws from 20 odd years ago and asking for the correct paperwork - no excuses I too have mislaid paperwork so retested to meet my obligations to the client - it's not a massive undertaking considering.

Reply to House rewire - Electrician won't issue installation certificate(?) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net