Discuss how am i supposed to bond the main water when it comes into the house in plastic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chris-

hi people,
How/ why am i supposed to bond the main water when it comes into the house in plastic. i thought it would be a deviation but ive now been told by a guy who said that the niceic said to bond the plastic pipe as the power supliers recomend it.

Ive always bonded all exposed plastic in the houses I've worked in, doors, window frames, cat flaps, shower trays, Tv's toothbrushes the lot....are you telling me I've been wasting my time all these years?

......................a guy who said that the niceic said..............

It all when horribly wrong at this point ^^^^

Please give this guy my special award..........

imagesCA5Q9YTS.jpg

Cut 100mm out of the plastic pipe, insert 100mm of copper and bond to that taking into account the 600mm rule.

I've found pipe freezing kits are handy for this kind of job.

It would appear that someone has overlooked the purpose of main bonding. Just think about what it is there for, and then you will realise why bonding a non conductive material is pointless.

Cheers...............Howard

hi people,
How/ why am i supposed to bond the main water when it comes into the house in plastic. i thought it would be a deviation but ive now been told by a guy who said that the niceic said to bond the plastic pipe as the power supliers recomend it.

Hi chris, YES!! you do have to bond it cause the guy who told you what the niceic guy said is what the guy said to the niceic guy who then told me and then he told me to tell you if you were to come and post that what you have posted but you might aswell just bond it IMO i think others will clarify what im saying cause a guy told us before who was told by an niceic guy.
hope this helps

why not bond it with a plastic cable tie and run a bit of fishing line from that to the lid of the plastic CU then stick it with PVC tape in earth colours
Job done
Hope this helps
Wicksy

why not bond it with a plastic cable tie and run a bit of fishing line from that to the lid of the plastic CU then stick it with PVC tape in earth colours
Job done
Hope this helps
Wicksy

That is completely against the regs, how dare you suggest such a thing!

All earthing conductors must be green & yellow and I've never seen a cable tie in those colours. Completely against the regs lol :rofl:

and if it's in andre previn's house, you'll have to bond him as well, coz he's a good conductor.

Did Nic guy mean to say

If the incoming service pipes are made of plastic, they
do not need to be main bonded.
If the incoming pipes are made of plastic, but the
pipes within the electrical installation are made of
metal, the main bonding must be carried out. The
bonding being applied on the customer side of any
meter, main stopcock or insulating insert and of
course to the metal pipes of the installation.

Last edited:
Ive always bonded all exposed plastic in the houses I've worked in, doors, window frames, cat flaps, shower trays, Tv's toothbrushes the lot....are you telling me I've been wasting my time all these years?

You have done well mate!

A few more like you and our profession could be classed as professionals!!

Any ways, some on here may say you may have gone a little overboard, but I wouldn't listen to them.

You stick to your guns. well done mate!!!

I know we can all see the funny side of this post but that is another guy that will probably never post again. Out of 17 replies only 2 gave constructive advice!

Reply to how am i supposed to bond the main water when it comes into the house in plastic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net