Search the forum,

Discuss How can I speed up? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
I am an apprentice electrician doing work mostly on domestic 3 bed house rewires (do flats and other houses as well but most are 3 bed houses) we normally do the rewires in 1 day (start about 8 and finish time varies between 2-3 (if lucky) and 4-6 most of the time)
The issue is that it the it takes me too long to do the upstairs (loft, fit lights and switches and chop, Capp and fit sockets then clean up) and it can take me all day to do this and some times the people I work with have to come up and fits some of the sockets as they have finished the downstairs.

How can I speed up?

Thanks.

Practice!

although in fairness, you've got the rub end of it being given the loft all the time.

Hi,

The only tip I can give you probably do anyway. Set up your cable drum under a hole left by one of the old ceiling roses, go to your farthest point and pull the cable through the hole , clipping as you go back to the next point. Loop in your live feed then clip back to the next point and so on.
This is a quick way of pulling in your feeds between lighting points.

Regards.

Practice, yes - the more you do it the quicker you'll get. If you try to rush it you'll end up making mistakes or getting injured.
Otherwise you could ask the guys you're working with who have seen what you do and might be able to suggest a quicker way of doing it.

I would far rather have an apprentice that is a bit slower who does a good tidy job than some speedy smart arse that has to go back and fix mistakes, the hare and the tortoise spring to mind.

My advice would be, don't do it alone, Work together.

In my job I often work together even with people i don't know. and I know I will not receive all the possible income, but the work can be done more efficient, for the customer.
and next day you have the next Customer

Thanks for the reply.

As for the lofts I do not mind so much and I have another guy push cable up and I just dress them round and drop them at the next location.

I do my best to make the work as neat as I can (we only 1st fix then plasterer and 2nd fixer follows so can only do so much until plastered ect) and I make sure it is done correctly to the best I have been taught. And I try to work quickly but I do not let been quick stop me doing it correctly.

Thanks again.

Crimp new cables onto the old and poke em in the loft. I rewire houses 1st and 2nd fix in half a day by myself. My Electrical Trainee course has already paid for itself LOL

Don't worry about how fast you are. It takes as long as it takes to do properly

Crimp new cables onto the old and poke em in the loft. I rewire houses 1st and 2nd fix in half a day by myself. My Electrical Trainee course has already paid for itself LOL

I think he is joking and OP you can work for me anytime speed is obviously not your problem

What size crew are you working in to do rewires in a short day? As has been said, you aren't slow, so don't worry about it and just concentrate on doing a tidy job. If you ever find yourself in S Wales, I'll give you some work!

Doing it right slowly is quicker than doing it badly quickly and having to redo it. Speed will come with time. If you are a 3rd year perhaps you should be quick as an experienced guy but year 1 & 2 dont worry about it

upstairs of 3 bed house, so guess at 5 lights and 6 switches (inc 2 way) 10 sockets and smoke det, 1st and 2nd fix in 6 hours (inc testing) thats 8 minutes an item inc stripping out old, chasing, fixing boxes and capping. Someone has had to much redbull and how fast is your mate, he must be breaking sound barrier. This is of course no lunch, speaking or breaks

upstairs of 3 bed house, so guess at 5 lights and 6 switches (inc 2 way) 10 sockets and smoke det, 1st and 2nd fix in 6 hours (inc testing) thats 8 minutes an item inc stripping out old, chasing, fixing boxes and capping. Someone has had to much redbull and how fast is your mate, he must be breaking sound barrier. This is of course no lunch, speaking or breaks

my thinking exacly.

sounds like - old cables are reused lol

Reply to How can I speed up? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back