Discuss How can people quote so low? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am always dubious when people say they have had a quote of x, and as far as i am concerned they can crack on. I always tell customers what they are getting and show them photos of the quality of my work and also the few jobs that I have been to where lives have been placed at risk by cowboys, I outline why they should be using a fully insured and qualified electrician . We sometimes forget we are salesmen, people want to know what they are getting and the advantages of employing you, tell them.

Depends what you do & how long you take tel, if your doing a proper job then I'd agree with you. These muppets don't do a proper job though, it's just slam it in & collect your money then on to the next one.

Why are you all surprised ,? this has been going on for donkeys years, and always will.!

I'm not in any way surprised Dave, like others tel & I have been beating this drum for years. It's just that nowadays there are more and more of them coming in & doing botch jobs then once they've ripped off loads of people bugger off back abroad.
At the moment we have a couple of Eastern Europeans, at least one Chinese guy, one from Greece & a Turkish guy within about 10 miles of me all touting as sparks. None of them give Receipts or Paperwork & from what I've seen all do a S$$T job.

Heard the worst one ever today, chatting to a domestic and commercial landlord I know really well and we got chatting about the cost of being a landlord these days, he's got loads of properties and told me that he paid 80.00 for a board swap last week, that's right boys and girls 80.00 fitted Inc 17th edition dual rcd metal board. Even if its a cash job there is still nothing to earn at that.
I'm glad I only do industrial and large commercial, the Domestic side is Buggered.

There's money in domestic if you work for the right builders/clients..I ain't interested in clients that want the cheapest quote and can normally weed them out quickly. I don't put a lad out for less than £250 a day and my diary is crammed. The commercial market can be competative as well......most big commercial jobs have 1 or 2 proper sparks and half a dozen or so mates.

The worst cowboys are the ones i call ebay sparks. they buy the cheap imported counterfeit CU's off ebay for £45 (same model in usual suppliers is £70+). fit a couple of these with dodgy mcbs, rcds etc.. and away they go. no testing, no certs. add a bit on for profit and they can make a couple hundred per week tax free.
I had to replace one of these once, and it wasn't in a house, was fitted by a supposed niceic approved contractor (niceic website never heard of him mind) in a small cafe, the switches were so brittle and the plastic was dodgy as hell. You took your life in your hands when turning off the incoming main switch.

There is more laws concerning waste collection in england now than there is concerning electricians!
If you as a householder pay somebody who is not licensed to take away your rubbish, and they have no environment agency licence then you can get a £5k fine! the onus is on you to go online and check they have the relevant licence to carry waste.
Yet, you can pay any tom dick or harry to carry out electrical works it seems with out having to verify they have insurance, part p or any other safety check. surely the customer should have a duty to verify the electrician is approved at very least by a scheme, has insurance, testing qualifications etc... failure should carry a fine.

If your mate takes your rubbish and dumps it, worst is it ruins a field and council pay to clean it up, pay a dodgy electrician and your house could burn down and kil your family! says it all really.

Reply to How can people quote so low? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net