Discuss How common is this? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Simon_

After some digging around in my house that I moved into last year, I've discovered that the upstairs is on the ring main and all downstairs sockets apart from the extension are spurred off the upstairs sockets!? This seems like a really lazy way of wiring a house to me. Some of the other houses on my street are wired like this too.

lazy and cable saving. as long as there is only 1 unfused spur from each ring socket, then it complies, but not good practice IMO.

Yeah it seems there is only one spur per ring socket. House is 1970's semi. It's a pain if I want to add any extra sockets downstairs as I'm going to have to find the relevant upstairs socket and stick in an FCU on the ring and then add the extra sockets after that on a fused spur.

This used to be a common way of wiring houses in the 70’s and a way of saving cable. It wouldn’t not be wired this way now.

Yeah it seems there is only one spur per ring socket. House is 1970's semi. It's a pain if I want to add any extra sockets downstairs as I'm going to have to find the relevant upstairs socket and stick in an FCU on the ring and then add the extra sockets after that on a fused spur.

or.... split the ring into 2 radials, each on a 16A or 20A MCB, then you can add sockets at will.

My house was the oposite way round, the downstairs was on a ring, then one spur from the dining room up the wall into a JB under the floor of the 2nd bedroom then 3 cables coming off that jb each one feeding one single socket in each of the 3 bedrooms.

My house was the oposite way round, the downstairs was on a ring, then one spur from the dining room up the wall into a JB under the floor of the 2nd bedroom then 3 cables coming off that jb each one feeding one single socket in each of the 3 bedrooms.

now that is bad practice. i would fit a FCU to feed the bedrooms

Reply to How common is this? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net