Discuss How do I deal with a work mate who produces dangerous and untidy work. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Guys, help !!
My work collegue is a time served spark and somewhat slovernly in his work production. I am a bit of a sticker for producing neat safe work, I asked him to through crimp some flex and this is what he did, the whole effort was wrapped in tape together and not individually so the bare conductors were touching ( he went into the crimp by one end only and not 'through' the crimp as expected). It is only by chance I decided to check on this after he had left the work site for a while.
Gents this would have been the feed from a streetlight head down to the cut out in the base of an 5 meter pole. Replacing the entire length of flex was not an option because of access issues otherwise we would have done so.
My dilema is he often produces such work and infuriates me as I am having to constantly check his work or do it myself, increasing my work load at each job.
How do I deal with this ?
20180411_153659_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Whos the gaffer??.. have a word and say he needs to have a word with the guy producing sub standard work.... it could be done by the gaffer coming around and checking on the work and 'coming' across the work thats questionable so as not to make it too obvious. but there is always a chance the guy who did the above is on this forum? might nwo get the message???

Pete999 I am just a spark, C&G qualified AM2 and all that jazz, my work mate qualified old school style and is time served, not sure about exams etc. Gavin, I may have to have a discreet word with the Boss as this bloke is constantly producing 3rd rate work, so much so that I would rather do it all myself and just leave him to do the donkey work, he has a lazy streak a mile wide.

I would agree with Pete it does depend on your level vs his. But a dangerous installation will cost you and the company more than you getting overworked and stressed.
Initially you can ask if he can redo some work if you are working together. e.g. come on mate I can't connect my kit to this one can you get it up to spec while I sort out the next bit.
Depending on the response you can decide on the next course of action.
Unless you are the supervisor it is not up to you to correct coworkers mistakes, so if he will not resolve the issue then as GJH says take it up one level, even if on the just coming round to see how you lads are doing approach.

Pete999 I am just a spark, C&G qualified AM2 and all that jazz, my work mate qualified old school style and is time served, not sure about exams etc. Gavin, I may have to have a discreet word with the Boss as this bloke is constantly producing 3rd rate work, so much so that I would rather do it all myself and just leave him to do the donkey work, he has a lazy streak a mile wide.
OK but where does the buck stop? you or him? if it's you then you have a duty of care over him, plus you have pinpointed his failings, and are asking what to do about it, should anything happen and you haven't reported it, and you knew about it, then you could be in the do dos as well. Have a word explain your concerns, if he doesn't improve then you know what to do, keep records.

Richard this bloke in question is a type 1 diabetic and his mood swings can be extreme if he thinks you are questioning him, perhaps his medical condition (he is crap at regulating and keeping control of his sugar levels) needs to be brought into the equasion as havin a hypo in this trade is somewhat iffy to both him and everyone else. (All due respect to fellow sparks who have and manage diabetes ).
Pete999 what you say is very true, I will be having a discreet with the Boss come Monday.

Westward10, dont have regs with me (off today ) will check though and get the facts before I open my mouth on Monday, I want to do this without causing a disturbance and making waves, I still have to see this bloke every working day.

I
Richard this bloke in question is a type 1 diabetic and his mood swings can be extreme if he thinks you are questioning him, perhaps his medical condition (he is crap at regulating and keeping control of his sugar levels) needs to be brought into the equasion as havin a hypo in this trade is somewhat iffy to both him and everyone else. (All due respect to fellow sparks who have and manage diabetes ).
Pete999 what you say is very true, I will be having a discreet with the Boss come Monday.
If that is the case, then definitely you need to have words with your Boss, for his sake and your peace of mind.
Should the problem be connected to the mismanagement of his condition, he would have to be a complete barsteward to be offended at you reporting him.
Your Boss would be an idiot to sack him or punish him without first finding out what his problem is, but this is my experience with working for a large outfit, if it is proven that his medical condition is causing him to be slap dash in his working practices, then counseling may help, do the right thing Mate, Plenty of people lead a normal life if their Medication is kept under control, I should know.

I

If that is the case, then definitely you need to have words with your Boss, for his sake and your peace of mind.
Should the problem be connected to the mismanagement of his condition, he would have to be a complete barsteward to be offended at you reporting him.
Your Boss would be an idiot to sack him or punish him without first finding out what his problem is, but this is my experience with working for a large outfit, if it is proven that his medical condition is causing him to be slap dash in his working practices, then counseling may help, do the right thing Mate, Plenty of people lead a normal life if their Medication is kept under control, I should know.
Thanks for all the input on this, I needed to ask fellows in the trade how they would deal with this without being a snitch but in the persuit of saftey for everyone I feel I do need to adress this with my Boss.

I

N
Pete999 I get on quite well with my Boss so I will contact him soonest about this. Many thanks.
No worries from me.
Incidentally we are both on the same rate of pay...which realy burns my a$$.
Then you are equally as responsible as he other in legal terms I would imagine, you know it's wrong so do'es Matey. Well maybe not if he is screwing up his Meds, so tell your Boss, no shame Alexander no shame whatsoever.

Westward10, dont have regs with me (off today ) will check though and get the facts before I open my mouth on Monday, I want to do this without causing a disturbance and making waves, I still have to see this bloke every working day.
IMO you wouldn't need the Regs to tell you the work you posted is under par.

Reply to How do I deal with a work mate who produces dangerous and untidy work. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net