• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss How much to change a consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening guys, I was just wondering how much everyone charges for a board change? Just in general, upstairs ring, downstairs ring, upstairs lights, downstairs lights, boiler supply and shower supply, replace the tails to 25mm and Main Earth to 16mm.

Depends on test results and state of wiring. Also how many circuits. Accessibility and so on. Then there is the fact that people do it for £80-100 irregardless. So pitch yourself in the middle of that lot and pick a number. But anyway @Murdoch has got it right I reckon. I guess @Phil Thompson is around the right price for what you describe. Last box I did was £550 took me eleven hours and the electrics were horrendous the box high up in a confined space and working out he circuits was pure hell.

Depends on test results and state of wiring. Also how many circuits. Accessibility and so on. Then there is the fact that people do it for £80-100 irregardless. So pitch yourself in the middle of that lot and pick a number. But anyway @Murdoch has got it right I reckon. I guess @Phil Thompson is around the right price for what you describe. Last box I did was £550 took me eleven hours and the electrics were horrendous the box high up in a confined space and working out he circuits was pure hell.

Board changes are definitely hit and miss aren't they. Lol
Some can be a piece of cake and others are a complete and utter nightmare.

For a standard size dual RCD CU, including new tails (old ones are always too short) & EC, £400. Rectification of faults, upgrading bonding extra.

Depends on the size of the board, size of the house, access to and ease of replacing said board. Bonding and how you will get bonding installed (if needed).
Items that will need testing / anything hard to test etc.

Thing is that there are far too variables .......... including where you are in the UK and how busy/desperate your are...........

And there are occasions I will decline to do a CU change unless I do a full or partial EICR first...... to determine if adding RCD's is only going to mean the power going off on a regular basis............

How many of us in the past, being totally honest have changed out an old board with only circuit identification and 'I hope the RCD/s don't trip' testing ? Answers on a postcard........ :D

I've done it when working for others, but want to do things correctly for my own business.

I have seen a board change done and not only is testing a board just hitting the test button on both RCD's, but both lighting circuits get loaded on the same RCD, just in case there's a borrowed neutral. Don't even wait to see or check if the 2 neutrals have continuity in them, just put them on the same RCD and everything will work fine.

I've done it when working for others, but want to do things correctly for my own business.

I have seen a board change done and not only is testing a board just hitting the test button on both RCD's, but both lighting circuits get loaded on the same RCD, just in case there's a borrowed neutral. Don't even wait to see or check if the 2 neutrals have continuity in them, just put them on the same RCD and everything will work fine.
The shared neutral is one of the things i purposefully set out to check for in a house before even giving a price. when you explain it to the customer they are slightly bemused.
I have often seen all lighting on one breaker and sometimes a empty 6 amp on the other rcd, i do wonder if when they turned the switch on after the Cu change that the rcds tripped and this was the outcome?
a little bit of investigating before hand can often save a lot of work later on.

The circuits you describe and reasonable access I would charge £350 total plus any repairs or extras. So assuming £25/hr this leaves £100 for materials which should usually be adequate for a 10 way box..
Can usually complete within 8 hours but I never rush them.. sometimes the cooker needs pulling out and cable disconnecting which can be awkward, also DB low under the stairs can be a right sod for working on.
That's for a dual RCD, rcbos more of course not just the materials increase but an extra hour or so for more testing of trip tests, so maybe another 100 for that system.

The circuits you describe and reasonable access I would charge £350 total plus any repairs or extras. So assuming £25/hr this leaves £100 for materials which should usually be adequate for a 10 way box..
Can usually complete within 8 hours but I never rush them.. sometimes the cooker needs pulling out and cable disconnecting which can be awkward, also DB low under the stairs can be a right sod for working on.
That's for a dual RCD, rcbos more of course not just the materials increase but an extra hour or so for more testing of trip tests, so maybe another 100 for that system.
£200 no questions, plus materials, just been stiffed by someone. so I'm feeling miffed.

Reply to How much to change a consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back