Discuss How to calculate the true power|! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to calculate the true power and reactive power and i no the formula for true power is V x I x cos and reactive power is apparent power-true power squared. however the figures it have been given are the load size of 50KVA at a power factor of 0.7??? any help on this would be appreciated! thanks

You have your load (apparent power) of 50KVA

True power (KW) = apparent power x PF = 50KVA x 0.7 = 35KW

Calculating reactive power (KVAr) is a bit more complicated, is this a single or 3 phase load???

Last edited by a moderator:
To calculate KVAr, there are a couple of ways to do it - using the sine of the angle between KVA & KW for instance, or using inductive & capacitive currents & reactance.

Given the info you have, I would do it this way -

KVAr = KVA x sqrt 1-(pf x pf).

In your case KVAr = 50 x sqrt (1-(0.7 x 0.7)) = 50 x 0.714 = 35.7 KVAr.

Reply to How to calculate the true power|! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am trying to understand how a relay system works and have designed a circuit and a ladder diagram all as attached for an 8 PIN relay, a current...
Replies
Views
Assuming that you measure the windings for a power transformer, for example: A-B: 2,258 ohms B-C: 2,262 ohms A-C: 2,250 ohms, how do you...
Replies
Views
I am doing a campervan conversion and have a 16A/250V shore power connection coming into a consumer unit which has two breakers - one for the AC...
Replies
Views
Hi chaps, Been working though the electrical design guide and I'm stumped on reactive power. volt drop and the equations are easy enough but I...
Replies
Views
I know the effect of a lost neutral (floating neutral) on a 3 phase system, and the theory of why the line voltages can vary. However, I have...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock