Discuss How to carry out polarity test on Shower, electric Fan, and motor? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nazoom

Hi

During polarity check on the motor, fan, and shower. Do we use R1+R2 method but instead of putting the switch On we turn off the appliance switch? What reading should we get? is it open circuit reading? if so what reading is expected?

Many Thanks.

You can also use the wander lead test as well as the R1+R2 test

Switch open there should be a infinite reading as there shouldn't be any path between the 2 cables, switch closed it will be the resistance of the cable + any switch gear it is going through.

So polarity for these appliances are done by R1+R2 (continuity method) But the switch for the appliances are open?

Another question I know this might sound silly but what is the value for infinite reading in Megger tester? is it >999?

Thanks

Easiest way is to make all terminations, disconnecting the switch neon if there is one, close the circuit link R1 and R2 at the CU and take your reading at the point of utilisation
Infinite readings are not allowed now mate, depending on your tester your IR reading will be >250meg or >999meg or something along those lines eg I use a Metrel which gives me >1999meg assuming a perfect reading of course

To prove polarity of a single pole switch:
Conduct the R1+R2 test, and whilst the probes are still connected, operate the switch.
The displat should then change to show an open circuit, if not, then the polarity is incorrect, or there is a problem.

Reply to How to carry out polarity test on Shower, electric Fan, and motor? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net