Discuss How to extend ring main and where to channel cable (Domestic property) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would never have thought of that wirepuller but you've made a great point.

What is the best way to check? Just test resistance between the two L's and N's and make sure it's only a couple of ohms?

easiest way is ...

diss the legs ( L, N, and E, in the CU, measure end-end of all 3 conductors. then split at the socket you're connecting into and check that the end-end resistances are not there anymore at the CU. then, once you have connected the new socket , measure the end-ends again. then cross connect, measure R1+R2, then connect up, energise, get your Zs, job's a good 'un.

Last edited:
Is it me, or is this turning into a diy, how to wire up a socket thread. No offence OP, but do you have the suitable knowledge & equipment to test your work after installation?

Is it me, or is this turning into a diy, how to wire up a socket thread. No offence OP, but do you have the suitable knowledge & equipment to test your work after installation?

Hi Midwest

No offence taken at all. I do have the suitable knowledge to do this job and I can borrow a loop tester from work. But you're right, this is a DIY job as I didn't know what the regs said regarding how to tackle this (all sorted now thanks to the good folks here on the forum) and just wanted to make sure that I did everything correctly.

Cheers :)

Hi Midwest

No offence taken at all. I do have the suitable knowledge to do this job and I can borrow a loop tester from work. But you're right, this is a DIY job as I didn't know what the regs said regarding how to tackle this (all sorted now thanks to the good folks here on the forum) and just wanted to make sure that I did everything correctly.

Cheers :)
If you are altering the RFC, you should also confirm the continuity of the RFC conductors, IR test, EFLI test (as you mentioned) & RCD test. Not tying to sound highbrow, but of all the circuits to alter in a domestic property, the RFC is perhaps the most important to get right.

If you are altering the RFC, you should also confirm the continuity of the RFC conductors, IR test, EFLI test (as you mentioned) & RCD test. Not tying to sound highbrow, but of all the circuits to alter in a domestic property, the RFC is perhaps the most important to get right.

Thanks Midwest for the information. Cheers :)

Reply to How to extend ring main and where to channel cable (Domestic property) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net