Discuss how to get customers when your just starting out ? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you're going to make flyers then make the postcard sized if not smaller, make them single sided and also make them magnetic. Make sure there's lots of useful information on there so the people want to keep them. Your logo and business details should fill <25% of the space and you can put anything on them like a list school holiday dates or a list of emergency numbers including electricity, water, gas fault report numbers etc. It's pointless printing 1000 flyers if 950 end up straight in the bin, rather make 300 better quality and have 250 of them stuck on peoples fridges.

Getting cards in takeouts, shops, post office etc works well, people are browsing/standing in a queue...captive audience.. Always be polite, even when out and about...people remember your face surprisingly often, offer to clean up (though its surprising how many people tell you not to bother and they will get it once your gone)
Never let someone shortchange you on the bill and "put a cheque in the post for the difference" often the cheque never turns up...had that once..
Subbing can work well, just be wary of some companies...I got asked to sub for one company, did a quick google and found they owed quite a lot of people money for services rendered....
I have an ad with Yell, that I'm considering expanding the area of as its making some half decent returns.
Also make sure your listed in Thomson local, 118s, etc
Be wary of Scousers touting - Police Welfare magazine (what force am I covered by tends to throw them, thats funny the local community police officer never mentioned this but did mention scams like yours also gets the message through), crime prevention monthly, disabled childrens network, fire prevention yearly as they are ALL scams...
It takes time mate, lots of time, get comfy footwear, if you are half decent with design progs, make something up, or get someone to do one for you...buy heavy weight glossy paper and print 4 to a page...perfect fridge sized postcards that look tidy and people hang onto...might not get an immediate return but its surprising how often you will get a call 5 or 6 weeks down the line when something needs done or the lights go out etc.
If your half decent at other trades - put down odd jobs done or similar, also if you know other trades or can arrange them put down "all trades supplied" (just make sure your PL covers you for sub contractors...)

Glad I just read your post! Had a call for us to go in the police community magazine and went ahead with it. They sent me a bill for £240 before seeing it in print and have persistently called this week for payment. They were called Paramount media and were scousers too!

Glad I just read your post! Had a call for us to go in the police community magazine and went ahead with it. They sent me a bill for £240 before seeing it in print and have persistently called this week for payment. They were called Paramount media and were scousers too!

Cheeky sxds. Never pay for advertising UNLESS you've seen the advert, unless its your local rag and you know what its going to be like.

If you're going to make flyers then make the postcard sized if not smaller, make them single sided and also make them magnetic. Make sure there's lots of useful information on there so the people want to keep them. Your logo and business details should fill <25% of the space and you can put anything on them like a list school holiday dates or a list of emergency numbers including electricity, water, gas fault report numbers etc. It's pointless printing 1000 flyers if 950 end up straight in the bin, rather make 300 better quality and have 250 of them stuck on peoples fridges.

That's fair enough but how do you know what school holidays are for every house in the area where you drop the leaflets, how do you know if they have kids. Some schools have different holidays. You would look a right muppet if you got the wrong emergency number on the leaflets too. Think its best to stick what you know on the leaflets.

Lol, all the schools in my area have the same holiday start and finish dates, maybe it's different in the UK. I'm not sure why emergency numbers might be wrong but they were just examples of info that might be useful enough to make someone stick the flyer on their fridge rather than throw it in the dustbin. If my suggestions aren't appropriate then I'm sure there's other stuff you put on there instead.

Reply to how to get customers when your just starting out ? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net