Discuss How to install downlights in this room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

With having lights under the units, id say you only need 3 downlights equidistant in the ceiling.... but one would be right where the hatch is.

Can the hatch be made smaller, or moved to between light positions?

Looking at the photos..... i cant see cables in yet for the under unit lights.

With having lights under the units, id say you only need 3 downlights equidistant in the ceiling.... but one would be right where the hatch is.

Can the hatch be made smaller, or moved to between light positions?

Looking at the photos..... i cant see cables in yet for the under unit lights.
The hatch definitely can't be smaller as it needs to be big enough to fit a hot water cylinder through it when it inevitably needs replacing one day. As for moving it, its physically doable but it's currently in a position with maximum headspace above which is still only maybe 4-5ft so wouldn't really want any less. Basically I think we just need to work around it.

So thanks to advice here what we're thinking is 3 downlights, first one a tiltable one right next to the long side of the loft hatch and then 2 other standard ones. Putting one next to the wall isn't really possible, I've checked the joists above and there just isn't enough clearance. We may also put a small wall light above the door if that end is too dark.

As for the undercabinet lights wiring, the kitchen company have told us they're using 12v lights so will just run the 12v cables up the back of the the cabinets to connect up to the driver in a box in the loft space. No space above the cabinets as they butt up to the ceiling. Coils of cable have been left at the respective positions.

Lots of different tilt and turn down lights available, put them opposite the area you wish to light and tilt them towards the work area,
I tend to use these anyway. I prefer the look, with the concentric circle effect, they can be aimed if desired, and the bigger cut out allows me to get my hand up into the ceiling void to find wires that the plasterer has pushed up out of his way.

Reply to How to install downlights in this room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net