Discuss How to start? I'm new to the industry. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Ian and I am 38 years old, I have a 2 year old daughter and wife. We all like in a flat in Yeovil, Somerset.

I have just been made redundant from my work as a dual fuel meter fitter, previously I had no experience in electricals. I have however grown a respect for the electrical industry and would like to retrain in order to gain future proof qualifications that help me provide for my family.

I am here to ask what the best route forward will be for me. I'm not in the best position to retain due to family commitments and the plans we have for the future.

To be blunt and honest, we want a second child and to move into a house, of course these are both fairly procluded if I need to spend alot of time training and studying. So please feel free, if you think that retaining isn't a likely possiblity in my situation, tell me.

In order to break even on my existing financial situation I need to be earning £24,000 a year. I understand that Apprenticeships don't pay this much so need to either find one that does or find another route.

I have found an interesting company called Access Training who are offering a Professional Course that seems to provide a basic package of Core Qualifications that I am ensured can get me an apprenticeship that pays £25,000 and up within a year if I can complete the course. (Professional Electrician Course | Access Training Academies - https://www.accesstraininguk.co.uk/electrical-courses/professional-electrical-course)

Does anyone have experience with this? My understanding is that with these basic courses under my belt I could then take an apprenticeship, at a higher wage due to my experience in smart meter fitting and achieve the necessary NVQ through that.

Is this right?

Any other possible suggestions?

This redundancy had come very quickly and I have not prepared for this (slapping my forehead). Is appreciate any thoughts and suggestions that experienced people have to offer.

Thanks in advance.
Ian

If you search for Access Training on here, you will find some posts with negative comments.

You need to be very wary of training outfits that just want to sign you up for expensive courses, but deliver a lot less than they seemed to promise. Expecially when payment is done through a 3rd party finance company that is difficult to back out of.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
The average dual fuel salary is about 32K, can you manage on less than that with your commitments.
Have you tried other energy providers.?
If you have C&G CMA1 why not add to this portfolio with other modules, I know the courses are not cheap but the way I see it you are already on the gassafe register, go for full scope because heating engs earn way more.
Your one foot in the door already no NVQ as you have already done that with the CMA1, its just a question of bolting extra modules.
Just a thought, but if your passionate to get into the Electrical industry go for it.

@7029 dave thanks for the response.
I can walk into another dual fuel metering job, I have even been offered one already. I just don't see the future in metering now, there isn't much more than a couple of years left for the bulk of smart now. And even though all these companies speak of upskilling to EV etc, the demand simply isn't there and none of those companies are realistically doing that right now. Plus the first people into that will be already qualified electricians in the roles.

The risk I run right now is that once we move into a house and take on larger familial commitments retraining will certainly not be an option until much later on life. I'm wary that should I stay with metering and find myself out the job in say 3 or 4 years, I then it will be much much harder to find a job that pays what I will then need.

So this is why I'm considering this now.

I personally do enjoy working with electrics more, I am competent in gas but I also feel that the gas industry will soon be winding down as more renewable fueled systems become more available. And again I'd find myself in competition for less work amongst more qualified and experienced engineers. Electric use in properties is pretty much guaranteed for at least the rest of my life.

@7029 dave thanks for the response.
I can walk into another dual fuel metering job, I have even been offered one already. I just don't see the future in metering now, there isn't much more than a couple of years left for the bulk of smart now. And even though all these companies speak of upskilling to EV etc, the demand simply isn't there and none of those companies are realistically doing that right now. Plus the first people into that will be already qualified electricians in the roles.

The risk I run right now is that once we move into a house and take on larger familial commitments retraining will certainly not be an option until much later on life. I'm wary that should I stay with metering and find myself out the job in say 3 or 4 years, I then it will be much much harder to find a job that pays what I will then need.

So this is why I'm considering this now.

I personally do enjoy working with electrics more, I am competent in gas but I also feel that the gas industry will soon be winding down as more renewable fueled systems become more available. And again I'd find myself in competition for less work amongst more qualified and experienced engineers. Electric use in properties is pretty much guaranteed for at least the rest of my life.
I did it the other way round, was an electrician doing installations since 1979 and went into metering in 2010 to 2020 for SSE then OVO, who did you work for.

I would not be too confident with the training providers promise of getting you a £24 000 a year apprenticeship.
If I was to hire you and pay above rates as an apprentice it would be on your ability and experience to get a job done safely and efficiently with minimal supervision and I dont think that course would give you those skills.

Can someone tell me exactly how apprenticeships work? Does the employer pay for the college fees aswell?

I have been offered £500 as part of my redundancy package towards training, I basically have to pay for a course and will get refunded by the company.
So if I was to get an 18th edition course, would that be a good start. Perhaps even allow me to skip a year? May be pushing it but the quicker I can get going the better.

Or alternatively if there are any night school courses I can take to do the first part of the NVQ before getting into the apprentice program.

(this is all because the first year of apprentice wage is very low and financially could be difficult to deal with)

Can someone tell me exactly how apprenticeships work? Does the employer pay for the college fees aswell?

I have been offered £500 as part of my redundancy package towards training, I basically have to pay for a course and will get refunded by the company.
So if I was to get an 18th edition course, would that be a good start. Perhaps even allow me to skip a year? May be pushing it but the quicker I can get going the better.

Or alternatively if there are any night school courses I can take to do the first part of the NVQ before getting into the apprentice program.

(this is all because the first year of apprentice wage is very low and financially could be difficult to deal with)
An NVQ is work based evidence done with an electrician or electrical contractor. You complete a portfolio with your description of the required tasks you have performed with photos, and other supporting evidence signed by the electrician in charge.
This is normally attached to a technical certificate in electrical installation at level 3. You may get Accredited Prior Learning credits based on your experience and qualifications. Best of luck to you and your family!

Of course if you are getting a low wage with children you would be entitled to universal credit. As to getting 18th and skipping a year, foggetaboudit. 18th is independent of C&G level three theory and installation/testing qualification and need further work with the NVQ3 portfolio possibly with AM2 to enter the industry. At your age while an apprenticeship is possible it may be fairly described as unlikely. I think @Gavin John Hyde has a good idea, try and get in with WPD. Other ways are night school/college and get a labourers mate job. I think the going rate is £120 a day currently, which gives your target rate. There are so many areas to the industry which particular area do you see yourself in?

Reply to How to start? I'm new to the industry. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net