Discuss How to test a ceiling lights with a plug socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

Please don't kill me. I am not an electrician and this is possibly the very simplest of questions you will read today.

I got a custom light fitting created for me and I wanted to test it without having to get it installed on the ceiling first. There are a few bulb options and I wanted to see which bulb would look best on there which is why I wanted to test it.

I took the wires and put them into a UK plug, and put it into the socket. It doesn't work. Can someone please guide me on how I can test this? Is there anything additional I need to do with the wires for it to work with a plug socket?

Thanks

Hi guys

Please don't kill me. I am not an electrician and this is possibly the very simplest of questions you will read today.

I got a custom light fitting created for me and I wanted to test it without having to get it installed on the ceiling first. There are a few bulb options and I wanted to see which bulb would look best on there which is why I wanted to test it.

I took the wires and put them into a UK plug, and put it into the socket. It doesn't work. Can someone please guide me on how I can test this? Is there anything additional I need to do with the wires for it to work with a plug socket?

Thanks
Fuse blown? a picture might throw some light on the problem, sorry for the pun.

best use a BS1363 plug.
shopping

not a
s-l225.jpg

Have you tried the bulb in a different light to make sure it works?

Yes I have a number of bulbs and a number of these lights. I have tested a couple of lights with different bulbs, but its not working.

I suspect I am not doing it correctly. Do we need something additional in the circuit for the light to work? Like those lamp switches for eg?

Eg:

Light fitting with g9 bulb --- > Lamp switch ---> UK Plug ---> Plug socket

Currently, I have:

Light fitting with g9 bulb ---> UK Plug --> Plug socket

safe block.when open, the clip ins are off. just insert wires, then close lid.

Yes I have a number of bulbs and a number of these lights. I have tested a couple of lights with different bulbs, but its not working.

I suspect I am not doing it correctly. Do we need something additional in the circuit for the light to work? Like those lamp switches for eg?

Eg:

Light fitting with g9 bulb --- > Lamp switch ---> UK Plug ---> Plug socket

Currently, I have:

Light fitting with g9 bulb ---> UK Plug --> Plug socket

You won’t need anything more than a correctly fitted plug to make it work.

I got a custom light fitting created for me and I wanted to test it without having to get it installed on the ceiling first.

Just out of curiosity, who 'created' this for you? Where they an electrician? Did you pay for the light?

ere we go again...bulb/lamp....did edison invent the light lamp? did florence nightingale carry a lamp?

Reply to How to test a ceiling lights with a plug socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net