Discuss How to wire a double switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I’m trying to wire a two way two switch into my lounge, i have a live feed coming from the consumer unit to the switch. I have a feed going to an external security light and also a external junction box for future garden lighting. I have wired the switch how I think it should be and it does work until I turn on the switch and then it trips, please advise on how to wire the double switch

Welcome to the forum mate.
Can you draw a diagram on how you have wired it.
Just draw it on a piece of paper, take a pic and upload it.

My fault, this is the one
72951FDD-245E-4E3C-970A-1939151D0050.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
diagram looks OK. you must have wired it wriong unless you have a short on one of the loads.

A couple have hinted at it, but to be clear the N cables SHULD NOT BE CONNECTED TO THE SWITCH

Just want to say thanks for the input, this has been driving me mad today.
so as a general consensus I should NOT put any neutral into any of section at the back of the switch, they need to b joined separately

The general consensus is, yes... you don’t connect a neutral to any part of the switch.... except one brand of switch that have now included a spare terminal marked loop, which is where the neutral goes.
just adds to any confusion.

Reply to How to wire a double switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

can anyone please advise on where the wires go? My electrician installed a new cable ready for when I bought a security light. The cable as shown...
Replies
Views
First, sorry if I'm not in the correxct thread. I'm trying to replace an old switch with a WIFI switch and cannot seem to do it right. There are...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I've moved into a flat and I've decided to replace the original electric switches and sockets with white ones. I've done them all...
Replies
Views
Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Would be grateful for some advice. Would like to add an additional light (Undercabinet 8W LED Batten light) to a two-way light switch...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock