Discuss How would you describe the dangers, when they say it all works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

To the OP, the cable almost certainly feeds a sub-distribution board for the kitchen. If that's the case then there is no reason why it should not supply the items listed, if not it is clearly non compliant. The matter of incorrect polarity on the RCBO 2nd left is a very serious defect which should be rectified without delay. It is astonishing that the installer did not notice two adjacent identical devices are connected differently.

I always say that anyone can make a simple circuit work under normal conditions - the current simply needs to get from A to B and back again. Two bits of wire and it will work. But when something minor goes wrong, such as a faulty appliance or a damaged cable, the protective measures that prevent things escalating into a fire or fatal electric shock need to be ready to act. These are much more complex than two bits of wire, so more expertise and correct workmanship are needed to ensure they are correctly designed and installed.

...explain the dangers of the wires being in the incorrect terminals of the rcbo

For the non-technical I find it sufficient to explain that reversed polarity bypasses the fuses on that circuit, and also leaves things live even when they seem to be off. Most people know that fuses (or MCBs) are essential for safety, so it should ring true when you tell them that without the fuses in operation even a minor fault could start a fire.

One worrying thought is 'what else has been wrongly connected'?

With any luck, the far end of that reversed cable!

Last edited:
we on this forum have been round this merry go-round so many times that I can remember .about installing other manufacture's mcb and other items has long that they comply to bs 7671 max then in my book that's ok .whether white, black, or grey .

we on this forum have been round this merry go-round so many times that I can remember .about installing other manufacture's mcb and other items has long that they comply to bs 7671 max then in my book that's ok .whether white, black, or grey .
I’ll look for the reg number in the BBB
hope you’ll be listing this as a departure on your EICs after dec31st then. You should have a look at 536.4.203 in the BBB.....

Presumably that circuit is a submain?
This is the only cu in the home

The second of the two 32A RCBOS on the right bank shows possible early signs of getting hot. Check the connections to be on the safe side. After the main switch is off obviously.

It definitely does, I will check this out. I return this weekend

I'm guessing there are no certificates ....

Absolutely none. It was the builders "electrician"

@Optimus what do you think is dangerous about the pictures you have shown?

Vertigern, when I opened the cupboard and saw the cu without a cover, I knew this was a bodge job (even with my limited experience). Then I spotted the mix of breakers, the bare copper, the rat's nest and that rcbo with the wrong coloured cables going out.
I mentioned all of this to my uncle but was unable to articulate it well (or well enough that he would do something)

Vertigern, when I opened the cupboard and saw the cu without a cover, I knew this was a bodge job (even with my limited experience). Then I spotted the mix of breakers, the bare copper, the rat's nest and that rcbo with the wrong coloured cables going out.
I mentioned all of this to my uncle but was unable to articulate it well (or well enough that he would do something)
You’ll probably be hard pressed in getting him to do something not even a cover on it me thinks if your uncle ever decides to sell he’s in for a shock replacing that lot lord knows what nasties are hidden away if this is in full view :eek:
You could always get a lock off kit and stick the main switch off lock it tag it and walk away that would make him take notice:tearsofjoy: (I advise against ever doing this especially in families’ houses as they might just brain you :yum:)

One thing is for sure as already opined, there is no certificate or if there is it is a fraudulent one. But when the time comes to sell the house there is going to be a lot of problems when your uncle tells the buyer the box was changed as they will look for a certificate. It will cost him a lot of head aches and money to get that right at such a stage. Also he has invalidated his home insurance with a job like that. If there is a fire or someone is electrocuted there is no insurance to cover any of it. The householder is responsible for ensuring the people doing work in their house are competent tradesmen. In this case your uncle has failed miserably quite clearly. For a few dollars less eh? Hope he lives on his own and no one else is now made unsafe due to his pennypinching, I guess, or maybe he really can't tell a good job from a bad job and that one is a bad job poor and dangerous workmanship.

To get back on topic :), the question was how to explain it's dangerous when they say it all works? How's your acting? Watch this guy for some pointers...

Last edited:
to get back to the OP and the pic. just ask him what flowers and which Pink Floyd track he wants at his funeral, or get it fixed .

Reply to How would you describe the dangers, when they say it all works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net