Search the forum,

Discuss i am thinking about starting an electrician course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Turning over half a million and piddling about with a 5 week course.....baffled! All for worthless bits of paper to stuff in the back pocket. Keep churning out the cv, pal. Doing what you are makes me think you might need it. Might impress some dimwit.

I think there's a lot of people who do short courses and the go on to trash people's houses! There's nothing to say that someone who has been doing it 20 years is going to be any better, it's like saying you have had a driving licence for 50 years so it makes you better at driving.

Total Rollocks and another insult, my god what crap are you going to come out with next, jeez :iamwithstupid:

Have you never fancied a change of scene in your life? I guess not... Im only doing DI work for fun / hobby more than anything.
well theres this store on dewsbury market called `scene fashions`....
its loaded with like copies of stuff...

- - - Updated - - -

Have you never fancied a change of scene in your life? I guess not... Im only doing DI work for fun / hobby more than anything.
well theres this store on dewsbury market called `scene fashions`....
its loaded with like copies of stuff...

Please enough is enough now!!

You talk about having a successful comms business but state you can't afford a van, and don't even know about vehicle business insurance cover!! I'm afraid your a story teller, and not a very good one either.

I only said I wanted to do domestic work, no intention of ever doing anything other than that.

You will still need a very high skill level, and in all work regardless of the type of work carried out, the design is an important part and not for fun or Clowns, this is why DIYers are dangerous, think again about your posts, go through the thread again and look at what you posted here

Wow, Jan 1st 2013 and already a contender for "most spiteful post of the year"

You best get your tin hat on or just jog on because you have just totally disrespected hundreds of proper electricians with that last statement saying anybody can do domestic work.

I hope you fail miserably

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like being disrespected by a chancer Ovengloves than that's up to you mate, I havnt gone through what I've gone through and trained as hard and sacrificed what I did to be belittled by a chancer.
He has basically remarked that any unskilled / unqualified person can be a domestic electrician.

And by the way I'm not childish

Then the first part of your quote would have sufficed, the rest (the failing part) was spiteful (I retract the childish and will edit my post)

If you like being disrespected by a chancer Ovengloves than that's up to you mate, I havnt gone through what I've gone through and trained as hard and sacrificed what I did to be belittled by a chancer.
He has basically remarked that any unskilled / unqualified person can be a domestic electrician.

And by the way I'm not childish

I don't hold back when I get poked, and I say what's on my mind, no point in holding it in, he's tried to rub us up the wrong way and succeeded, so he is fair game

Yes his posts were definately ridiculous and not the type which won't get responses, just read the thread again fella.

I think a few things on domestic work need to be got straight.

Pretty much any muppet could install the wiring for a ring circuit,lighting circuit or radial if shown how by a competant person....as 'fixitelectrical' has pointed out it's not rocket science.
Where said muppet will fail is with final connections (it takes experience to terminate wires which will remain terminated properly long term)...and testing his circuits. While said muppet many be able to test his circuits according to the book,he will fail to understand what the readings he obtains are telling him,this defeats the whole object of testing.
Where he will also fail is when faced with a circuit/installation he has not wired himself. Without the experience of a proper apprenticeship said muppet will struggle to identify and repair faults and problems.
So the way I see it is your average Electrical Trainee muppet may well be able to wire a domestic circuit...but chances are ,not far down the line there will be problems because of poor terminations....(experience has taught me that most electrical faults are down to lack of attention to detail at terminations) and an inability to spot problems with his own test results.....and as for fault finding existing circuits,well you only have to read some of the threads on here to see how many Electrical Trainee's are taking money off customers for days spent finding faults I garantee I could suss in an hour.
Cant remember the last time I saw a thread from Tel....or Des...or MJD...or Skelton...etc,etc.....saying "I've just changed a CU and the RCD keeps tripping...HELP"
Rock on Electrical Trainee's

I think a few things on domestic work need to be got straight.

Pretty much any muppet could install the wiring for a ring circuit,lighting circuit or radial if shown how by a competant person....as 'fixitelectrical' has pointed out it's not rocket science.
Where said muppet will fail is with final connections (it takes experience to terminate wires which will remain terminated properly long term)...and testing his circuits. While said muppet many be able to test his circuits according to the book,he will fail to understand what the readings he obtains are telling him,this defeats the whole object of testing.
Where he will also fail is when faced with a circuit/installation he has not wired himself. Without the experience of a proper apprenticeship said muppet will struggle to identify and repair faults and problems.
So the way I see it is your average Electrical Trainee muppet may well be able to wire a domestic circuit...but chances are ,not far down the line there will be problems because of poor terminations....(experience has taught me that most electrical faults are down to lack of attention to detail at terminations) and an inability to spot problems with his own test results.....and as for fault finding existing circuits,well you only have to read some of the threads on here to see how many Electrical Trainee's are taking money off customers for days spent finding faults I garantee I could suss in an hour.
Cant remember the last time I saw a thread from Tel....or Des...or MJD...or Skelton...etc,etc.....saying "I've just changed a CU and the RCD keeps tripping...HELP"
Rock on Electrical Trainee's

Spot on

The other thing I have seen muppets do is drill the joists in the wrong places, when you do an apprenticeship with a properly trained mentor you will learn about simple things like how and where to drill Joists, how far from the corners of partition walls cables can run etc, how to chase walls straight, how to clip cables through lofts, the standard of works these days is pretty poor, cables slung over ceilings. holes drilled anywhere, cables in the same slots as central heating pipes, theres a lot more to designing and installing a Domestic Installation than a ring main, for instance how many do you put in? thats one decision, I have seen one only on a new build and thats the truth, I also Remember one so called spark who was green and had no experience actually wire the whole house on one ring and he did it in 1.5mm2 6243Y by mistake, when I asked why he installed one ring he said "whats the problem" he assumed there was no load and it wouldn't be an issue, when I explained we just don't do that due to our sparks standards and I wanted him to install a ring in the kitchen and up as well as down he thought I was mad, he was a DIYer who bluffed his way into a job and the gaffer who we worked for at that time fell for it, as the foreman on the site at the time it didn't take long to sus him out, a nice guy but a DIYer.I also had a guy who flattened some metal capping with an hammer an then tape it to cables in the wall, he said he had never used capping before and didn't realise the lip was there to go around the cables, he thought the capping had to be flattened, I also had one guy install a burglar alarm and there was 2 key pads on it, one at the front door and one in the master bedroom so the owner could alarm the downstairs from his bedroom at night, he phoned me one day saying Mike can you come to site I'm stressed, well I said okay calm down I'm on my way, so after making sure the other guys on the Job I was on were busy and happy I left site to see him. Once there I asked him what the problem was, he said the alarm wouldn't set and the key pad kept saying tamper fault, he said he checked everything and couldn't work it out and was going home as he had had a guts full. I went around the system and saw the key pad in the en-suite was not on properly, pushed it on and the fault went, he went mad and started throwing his kit around in anger as I was there 10 seconds and found the fault, he said after he had calmed down that he had forgotten he wired the second Key pad, astonishing, I am running out of thread now but you wouldn't believe what he did in the boiler room, the house was a biggy, the system for the heating was not the usual, haha, it turned out he was a telecommunications engineer who bluffed his way into the job, just like the other one I mentioned, More to domestic work than a ring main.

The other thing I have seen muppets do is drill the joists in the wrong places, when you do an apprenticeship with a properly trained mentor you will learn about simple things like how and where to drill Joists, how far from the corners of partition walls cables can run etc, how to chase walls straight, how to clip cables through lofts, the standard of works these days is pretty poor, cables slung over ceilings. holes drilled anywhere, cables in the same slots as central heating pipes, theres a lot more to designing and installing a Domestic Installation than a ring main, for instance how many do you put in? thats one decision, I have seen one only on a new build and thats the truth, I also Remember one so called spark who was green and had no experience actually wire the whole house on one ring and he did it in 1.5mm2 6243Y by mistake, when I asked why he installed one ring he said "whats the problem" he assumed there was no load and it wouldn't be an issue, when I explained we just don't do that due to our sparks standards and I wanted him to install a ring in the kitchen and up as well as down he thought I was mad, he was a DIYer who bluffed his way into a job and the gaffer who we worked for at that time fell for it, as the foreman on the site at the time it didn't take long to sus him out, a nice guy but a DIYer.I also had a guy who flattened some metal capping with an hammer an then tape it to cables in the wall, he said he had never used capping before and didn't realise the lip was there to go around the cables, he thought the capping had to be flattened, I also had one guy install a burglar alarm and there was 2 key pads on it, one at the front door and one in the master bedroom so the owner could alarm the downstairs from his bedroom at night, he phoned me one day saying Mike can you come to site I'm stressed, well I said okay calm down I'm on my way, so after making sure the other guys on the Job I was on were busy and happy I left site to see him. Once there I asked him what the problem was, he said the alarm wouldn't set and the key pad kept saying tamper fault, he said he checked everything and couldn't work it out and was going home as he had had a guts full. I went around the system and saw the key pad in the en-suite was not on properly, pushed it on and the fault went, he went mad and started throwing his kit around in anger as I was there 10 seconds and found the fault, he said after he had calmed down that he had forgotten he wired the second Key pad, astonishing, I am running out of thread now but you wouldn't believe what he did in the boiler room, the house was a biggy, the system for the heating was not the usual, haha, it turned out he was a telecommunications engineer who bluffed his way into the job, just like the other one I mentioned, More to domestic work than a ring main.
and its knowing when a ring final is appropriate....and when an A3 will cut it...
like in a lot of those back to back type houses with a small footprint....seen a lot of these with ring finals everyware...like one for each floor and it just don`t warrent it at all.....a couple of A3s will do...one serving the downstairs room with kitchenette and the other for the 2 upper floors...
its stuff like that where you have a responsibility of costs to the person ordering the work as well..

Not an 'expert in data comms and internet', by any chance?

He said he was, His name was Steve, I will never Forget him, A nice guy, but out of his depth at that time with Domestic work, he may well be brilliant now, it was about 15 years ago

He said he was, His name was Steve, I will never Forget him, A nice guy, but out of his depth at that time with Domestic work, he may well be brilliant now, it was about 15 years ago

Our friend should return in about 15 years then. Mind you, probably be a 5 hour course by then, so he'd be grossly experienced.

if i had my way i`d shut down all these `training centres`...all these 5 week/2 week whatever courses would just go banned, outlawd, wiped away or otherwise consigned to a particularly sad chapter of the history book of electrical installs...
the industry never called for em...they were foisted on it by stealth....the industry dont need em either...
there should be one recognised route into this industry..properly vetted and properly encouraged without all this `extra`..
one route in: recognised, industry approved and properly funded with real examinations....

The boom and bust cycle of a 5 week spark

Get pants pulled down by training provider

Do course, convince yourself and others you will break the mould and be a success where all others fail

Pass exams that you can't really fail

By a MFT and a few other bits....

Get scammed by the scam providers and hand over £500

Get a few jobs and think you've cracked it.

Get stuck on a job and ask loads of daft questions on here

Realise your out your depth

Customers realise you haven't a clue and work dries up

Sell your MFT and other bits and go back to your original job

Can I have 1st dibs on your tools :)

Do course, convince yourself and others you will break the mould and be a success where all others fail

hit it on the nail !

Absolutely spot on....and I know a few who have done it

Fixitelectrical.....

You have a very interesting username considering you intend to take a 5 week course....domestic, commercial or industrial you will come across some simalar faults, now if you really can live up to your username now lets start with a easy one.....

You have a I.R reading of 0.29meg between L-E on a lighting radial with 9 fittings...... Where would you start......explain your process....impress us with your 5 week experience.....

This is not having a go this is just giving you a insight of the type of call I will probably get tomorrow,

Domestic or commercial you could get this call, what would you do?

Fixitelectrical.....

You have a very interesting username considering you intend to take a 5 week course....domestic, commercial or industrial you will come across some simalar faults, now if you really can live up to your username now lets start with a easy one.....

You have a I.R reading of 0.29meg between L-E on a lighting radial with 9 fittings...... Where would you start......explain your process....impress us with your 5 week experience.....

This is not having a go this is just giving you a insight of the type of call I will probably get tomorrow,

Domestic or commercial you could get this call, what would you do?

:book:

Well 20 minutes later still no reply....my tools would be back in the van now and my hand out £££££
well..i think he`s gone...shame really...
i was hoping he was going to reply with something like `well firstly i`d drop all the lamps out`....or some other kind of time wasting silliness like that..lol..

Sweating with the customer, saying something like.....it's the spark whose fitted them first of all has done it different than what you should and I gots to phone me mate to ask him because he's knows how to do it this other way!

New spark turns up....introduces himself to the Electrical Trainee with a firm handshake & "nice to meet you"

Electrical Trainee now gone extremely red, and slithers away making any excuse as possible......

Another lost contact!

i mean the best way to sort this one out p11jor would be to test at origin. switcopen all the lightswitches and test at origin between live & earth bar and just keep closing a lightswitch until it goes to earth....
that narrows it down.....

i mean the best way to sort this one out p11jor would be to test at origin. switcopen all the lightswitches and test at origin between live & earth bar and just keep closing a lightswitch until it goes to earth....
that narrows it down.....

might not be on a switchline ???? LOL

Your both miles out, switch off all light switches, leave Lamps in, then switch on breaker or better still push in BS 3036, then switch one light switch on at a time until you hear a bang, easy, no need to get the test kit out of the Van, if your lucky the 3036 may bang but not blow, so you can pull it back out repair the damage and push it back in without changing the tin foil, whoops I mean fuse wire, you lads have to complecate things.

Your both miles out, switch off all light switches, leave Lamps in, then switch on breaker or better still push in BS 3036, then switch one light switch on at a time until you hear a bang, easy, no need to get the test kit out of the Van, if your lucky the 3036 may bang but not blow, so you can pull it back out repair the damage and push it back in without changing the tin foil, whoops I mean fuse wire, you lads have to complecate things.

LOL !

damn 3036's !

discrimination is rather poor. put in a 30A 3036 once, unknowing of the dead short on the circuit only to have the BS88 100A DNO blow out lol

oh and good luck getting the fuse carrier out after ! :p

LOL !

damn 3036's !

discrimination is rather poor. put in a 30A 3036 once, unknowing of the dead short on the circuit only to have the BS88 100A DNO blow out lol

oh and good luck getting the fuse carrier out after ! :p

I usually prize it out with a screw driver, no worries
thud_zps7e337247.gif

Reply to i am thinking about starting an electrician course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net