Discuss I think I deserve to give myself a pat on the back. Yes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey all. How is everyone's rainy Sunday afternoon?

I thought I'd pop by and let you all know that as of yesterday I completed my first rewire of a 4 bed property. It took just over 2 weeks to complete. The property was lived in and involved moving a lot of furniture to other rooms, covering stuff with dust sheets, lifting up carpets etc etc.

It was a grade A ball ache but I got there in the end and the customer is happy with my work and said I will be recommended to anyone that asks for a Spark.

I feel that the time I took was reasonable but I did lose a day due to a family issue that needed attention. This job has helped my confidence and *fingers crossed* there have been no problems and on leaving everyting was good and in working order.

Hopefully, the next one will be done quicker but if there's anything I have learnt from all this, make sure the property is empty or get them to move out :)

*Insert pat on back here*

Well done mate, sounds like a real pain in the nutsack.

I have yet to complete a full rewire and guaranteed the first one will be similar.

clapping-hands.gif

It all becomes clearer with experience.

Do you know what's crazy? Ive been in the game for 7 years and it was the first one. I only ever helped on rewires or come onto it part way through.

Think first fix near the end or just putting sockets on second fix or helping testing. I never did a full one and wanted to so I could test myself and see if I could actually apply what I've learnt.

I know some lads who have been doing rewires on end even during their Apprenticeship. I suppose it swings in roundabouts.

Funny thing is, Now Iv'e done my first I bet I get loads now.

Well done mate. I had one once with a india family with both set of grandparent living there why we did the job they couldnt speak a word of english nightmare.

nice one, mate. if that was 2 weeks on your own, then it's good going on a lived in , furnished property. no doubt the "rewire- in-a-day guys will disagree, but , well done.

Thanks Telectrix. Ha ha ha. Yes, I imagine that the "super speed one - a - dayer" lads would have something to say about that. Funny thing is I was reading some posts a few weeks ago about a team of lads who can do a 3 bed house in a day, make good and everything is neat.

If that's the case then I am very impressed. Although I do wonder how they manage it and I bet they don't stop for a dinner or have breaks.

I've always said this and I'd like to think most agree, speed isn't everything. Measure twice, cut once.

nice one, mate. if that was 2 weeks on your own, then it's good going on a lived in , furnished property. no doubt the "rewire- in-a-day guys will disagree, but , well done.

Dito, 2 weeks is good going. Said to myself 10 years ago i would not do a "lived in rewire" by myself ever again but i still do it occasionally.

Bet you didn't sleep very well before the rewire, dreaming about all the problems you could come across!

Anyway, good on you.

Did you do it on your own mate? If so I bow to your "balls of steel"
29 years in the game and I've never done a rewire single handed, and never will

Completely rewired my Dad's house last year on my own in between jobs, as well as doing all the plumbing, including a water mains move new kitchen and 2 bathrooms. Took me the best part of 6 months....

Reply to I think I deserve to give myself a pat on the back. Yes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net