Currently reading:
Ideal twist connectors

Discuss Ideal twist connectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stan794

Any of you guys using the Twist connectors from Ideal?
On a recent Kitchen refurb/extension my spark used them on the lighting circuit and LABC are moaning saying they are prone to causing electrical fires. I must admit I prefer wagos myself but these twisters are to BS7671 so why are they moaning... ****ers :(

Below is the reply from Ideal that I received after asking their tech department..

It is unfortunate that you have had issues with your local inspector because we worked closely with bodies such as the Electrical Safety Council and NICEIC well before putting these connectors onto the UK market. Both organisations fully evaluated these products and I can categorically state that the NICEIC (if that is who you are referring to) from a head office perspective have no issues with IDEAL's twist-on wire connectors. However, individual inspectors may harbour their own prejudices and these can usually be overcome by demonstrating the product to them and proving compliance to BS 7671. Loosening of the connector is unlikely to happen (assuming the connector is applied to the wires correctly in the first place) due to the conical shaped spring inside that grips the wires tightly.

I have attached a Q&A sheet that was produced to specifically address any questions an electrician or inspector may have, so it may be worth showing this to the person concerned.
Failing that, if you provide the name of the individual and the name of the registered body that they work for, we can take this matter up with them directly.

Rest assured that there are many electricians using IDEAL Twist-On wire connectors in the UK without any problems, but in this case it looks like we have a local inspector that is making up his own rules.

Niceic strikes the bottom of the pits again, not only them but the so-called the ESC!! lol!!

Now my question is, if they have submitted these twisters to the ESC for evaluation, why didn't Ideal give you the ESC evaluation report number or a link to that evaluation report?? Come to that, why haven't Ideal submitted their products for BS/EN APPROVAL??

As for the NICEIC, they are a non-entity as far as any standards are concerned and are getting involved in areas they have no right to be. Basically as i see it these wing twisters are UL listed only, and that they carry no such approval listing in the UK or Europe. Now if you have seen some of the stuff that that i have, that carries UL listed status you'll understand just how unimpressed i am!! lol!!

As i stated before leave these twister connectors on the wholesalers shelves, they have no place in any electricians material stores!!

Last edited by a moderator:
And I always keep a sheep's-bladder full of them in my donkey cart. Much quicker to use than lighting the coals in the brazier to heat the iron every time I want to make a joint.

even though Im a US spark I have used wagos now since they came out here and prefer them to wire nuts/twist connectors
the hardest part is getting apprentices to understand is when using wire nuts is they must twist stranded wire in the same direction as tightening the twist connector.

Never used them but my guess is that they would be ok if properly used. Experienced sparks will make a good connection with virtually anything,you instinctively get a feel for a good connection or a bad one.Less experienced will make a pigs ear of any type of connector.

I don't use them when I'm working on a 50Hz system I go with choc blocks and I have to be forced into using them on a 60Hz by the company.
The BGB says in Reg 511 that if something is covered by a Harmonized Standard then you can use anything as long as it is approved by the IEC and a Harmonized Standard.

The amount of re-wires we do because of these 'fire' nuts is great because it's keeping me in work.
They are an accident waiting to happen !

Reply to Ideal twist connectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock