Discuss Ideal twist connectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stan794

Any of you guys using the Twist connectors from Ideal?
On a recent Kitchen refurb/extension my spark used them on the lighting circuit and LABC are moaning saying they are prone to causing electrical fires. I must admit I prefer wagos myself but these twisters are to BS7671 so why are they moaning... ****ers :(

line for me. yesterday got 6 1.5mm into a line enclosure with connectors. try doing that in a 2" round screw JB.

On a recent Kitchen refurb/extension my spark used them on the lighting circuit and LABC are moaning saying they are prone to causing electrical fires. I must admit I prefer wagos myself but these twisters are to BS7671 so why are they moaning... ****ers :(

Wouldn't use those twisters in a million years. Are you sure they have a bs / en number?

The box is covered in stickers saying compliant with BS7671. My spark always uses them on lighting, never had a problem before with LABC.

Keep an eye on this thread Stan, Eng54's imminent response might amuse you
!

Haha....​

At least your LABC have some sense it seems!!

Don't touch those fire nuts, the only place those things are commonly used are in the States and countries where they follow NFPA 70 (NEC). They are known to be the major cause of electrical fires in their domestic installations, but the numb nuts still insist on using them. Literary any other form of connector is going to be better than those bloody things!!

I'd be quite shocked to learn they conform to BS 7671, They would need their own BS/EN number to even come close, ....and if they did it would be another area of BS7671 that i would be ignoring!! I think it was in one of the 14th editions of the reg's where it actually stated that twister connectors are NO longer recommended as means of connecting two or more conductors....

Not that I have ever used them and likely never will

They are surely not designed for solid core conductors ?
I am presuming that solid core was the case

Not that I have ever used them and likely never will

They are surely not designed for solid core conductors ?
I am presuming that solid core was the case

I wouldn't of thought so myself, but many of the Yanks wire and cables are indeed solid core. They need to be, as the standard terminal connection on their over sized light switches and dual socket outlets are by means of wrapping round a captive screw!! That's Yanks for you... lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you matt for that link
It seems my thoughts were wrong and they are for solid core as explained by eng 54

The guy did a good demonstration.but twisting a solid core in that way would make me feel very uneasy and I can well understand the building inspector saying "not on my patch"
if I were him,it would be the same action

You mention chock block . the ones that are brass within , and I'm not saying all of them I'm experiencing a lot of them splitting recently a nuisance somthing I notice on a few existing installations to we're they have broken anyone else experiencing this . I'm now getting connectors with the innerds made of steel takes a few more cores to double thumbs up

Reply to Ideal twist connectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net