Discuss If your child ended up being a sparky, would you be proud of them? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes mate I would. If they were happy cutting their legs off to support their mate in a wheel chair I think I could eventually be convinced (rightly or wrongly).

The thread has spurred from this that I saw on a plasterers forum.

How many would actually be proud if there son became q good plasterer - http://www.plasterersforum.com/threads/how-many-would-actually-be-proud-if-there-son-became-q-good-plasterer.66968/

Checkout how quickly that thread went sour.

I've just read that whole thing, must say there are some utter morons on there Dan !

I wouldn't let them,mainly because there are better jobs out there,jobs that will look after you,pay you,when you are ill,build you a better pension,give you bonuses,extra days off,send you on courses & wont worry how long it takes,ecetera ecetera...

2 of my brood are in the trade and yes I am proud of them. I did try and talk both of them into another career path :)

Something that might get deep this. And I'd like it if you guys kept it amicable like you usually do. But I wondered, if your boy or girl ended up being an electrician (not always like yourself EXACTLY perhaps they go down a different route but still end up doing electrics)...

.. would you be proud of them?
Afraid not if I had any I would expect a lot more of them than just being an electrician..its a dead end job

If I had kids, as long as they were gainfully employed, worked hard and did a good job at whatever they chose I'd be proud. If they entered th e trades, I'd do my best to edumacate them to make sure they weren't cowboys (or girls) and that they treated their customers and their property with respect.

As for electrician being a dead end job... couldn't disagree more. Electricity and it's applications play an increasingly important role in our world and will do for the foreseeable future. So there will be a requirement for quality sparks for quite some time.

If I had kids, as long as they were gainfully employed, worked hard and did a good job at whatever they chose I'd be proud. If they entered th e trades, I'd do my best to edumacate them to make sure they weren't cowboys (or girls) and that they treated their customers and their property with respect.

As for electrician being a dead end job... couldn't disagree more. Electricity and it's applications play an increasingly important role in our world and will do for the foreseeable future. So there will be a requirement for quality sparks for quite some time.
Yes I think your correct there will be requirement for sparkies but this demand has to be matched by a willingness to pay a proper rate of pay. Lets face it its a hard physically demanding job that, as I understand, requires a reasonable amount of bookwork. and if I was a young person looking for a first job this trade does not stack up very well against the alternatives eg the computing industry.

The computer industry may be the IN thing nowadays, but don't forget they'd be dead in the water without us Sparkies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be happy with my child getting any trade because once qualified you can always change careers and come back to the trade.

What my dad's always said to me however my grandad, uncle and dad have been roofers since they were lads.
Strange that I opted to be an electrician like my mums dad.

Much better than being in IT which was my original idea (soul destroying being behind a desk all day)

Reply to If your child ended up being a sparky, would you be proud of them? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net