Discuss I’m an apprentice - electrocuted under my bosses supervision in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

And Electrocution is execution by electricity.
If you’re still alive, then it’s a nasty shock.

you where Not "Electrocuted " as you would not be able to post due to either been dead or really messed up

It doesn't matter that the poor guy has incorrectly used the word 'electrocuted' . Semantics can wait

I always used to think "electrocuted" meant killed by electricity. And Collins and Cambridge dictionaries define it this way. Electrically executed.
Seems that Oxford have defined electrocuted as killed or seriously injured by electricity.

Either way, this was a serious incident that could have had fatal consequences, an incident that should never have happened, and steps need to be taken to ensure it never happens again. Whether in a workplace environment or somebody's home, electricity can kill or seriously injure.

I hope things check out in A&E and there is no lasting injury!

This a very serious incident!
At the very least you should report this to the relevant people. Ok the guy made a mistake he might even be a nice chap, but this is no excuse for being lazy and not testing properly and safe isolating prior to work commencing!!

You are very lucky and had a narrow escape. You have lived to tell the tale and from your experience you can now learn and also teach others on the importance of safe working.

People can get complacent especially so when they are doing the same thing over and over. He should have tested properly and also as good practice got you to test it yourself, as part of your training. All my apprentices (if competent to do so) are required to test and safely isolate and test again to confirm, then their supervisor tests also, and then they both sign the permits to work / method statements.

Good luck, and keep us posted on any outcome.

Thank you to everyone for all of your very helpful replies!

It all went okay luckily at a and e. The doctor did various tests and all turned back with good results. She explained to me that (as a lot of you have already stated) I was very lucky, it also helps because I am physically fit with no known ailments too.

I am going to arrange a meeting with HR to discuss what happened. Although I understand my supervisor has been doing this for 40+ years and obviously knows what he’s doing - this should never of happened. What if it was someone with an underlying condition? They could of easily died and I feel as though if it happened again to someone else I am responsible.

I do think I have learned a valuable lesson regarding safe isolation and to always check for yourself - albeit can be difficult when you are working under a supervisor who is very much “im right and you are wrong, even if I’m wrong I’m still right” if that makes any sense.

Thank you @Intoelectrics for the offer of help over pm! I do really appreciate it and I may well take you up on that!

I am certain there was some foul play - ie not following the risk assessment/rams correctly as my boss said to me immediately after “make sure you don’t tell anyone, no one can know, etc etc” which is worrying In it’s own right. Something I missed from the original post which i will also propose to HR.

As stated above, will update you all after I’ve had a meeting with HR regarding the next steps.

Thank you all again.

Sounds like the guy will be back pedalling… denying saying/doing anything wrong.

Was there witnesses? Do you have burns on your skin? Other evidence?

Sounds like the guy will be back pedalling… denying saying/doing anything wrong.

Was there witnesses? Do you have burns on your skin? Other evidence?
This is exactly what I’m thinking he’s going g do..

My word - an apprentice working for the company for 5months vs a supervisor who’s been there with the company 30 years…

I have minor burns on my skin, which I have taken a picture of for “evidence” I also will have it documented with the NHS. I will speak with the college too - they may have someone who will help fight my corner.

Part of me says it’s not worth risking my apprenticeship over if it does not go in my favour, although I know that is wrong and I need to at-least try.

Thank you @Intoelectrics for the offer of help over pm! I do really appreciate it and I may well take you up on that!
You are welcome any time to PM for advice. Though for the record it was plugsandsparks who offered the help! (see below quoted)

plugsandsparks
"By all means PM me or other experienced members here for advice on a practical level how to protect yourself in an environment where you are not in control of what is being switched on and off."

This is exactly what I’m thinking he’s going g do..

My word - an apprentice working for the company for 5months vs a supervisor who’s been there with the company 30 years…

I have minor burns on my skin, which I have taken a picture of for “evidence” I also will have it documented with the NHS. I will speak with the college too - they may have someone who will help fight my corner.

Part of me says it’s not worth risking my apprenticeship over if it does not go in my favour, although I know that is wrong and I need to at-least try.
The very fact that he has all this experience and been with the company for so long makes it in some way worse, in that he has absolutely no excuse for this lack luster approach which potentially could have killed you or someone else!

Just because he is the supervisor doesn't automatically qualify him as always right, if you feel he is doing something you know or even think is wrong you should raise your concerns. And don't be afraid to raise this with the relevant people. Why should you lose your job? You have done nothing wrong! In fact technically speaking not reporting it is doing something wrong, and you could be reprimanded for that.

Glad you're ok.
Part of me says it’s not worth risking my apprenticeship over if it does not go in my favour
Any vaguely reasonable company will be glad you have bought it to their attention, as having dead employees isn't in their interests!
As long as you go in with the mindset that you are there to inform them of a serious incident purely for the wellbeing of others and do it in a calm and measured manner I don't think you have anything to fear regarding the company in general.
It could obviously lead to a slightly strained relationship with the supervisor who asked you to keep your mouth shut. You could say it's going to be difficult trusting working under him again. Is he the only supervisor - maybe they could transfer you to work under someone else?

Wow, quite a read.

Let me first wish you a speedy recovery from any injury you have taken, and reiterate the other advice you've received regarding reporting this incident as far up the chain as needed.

I've worked with apprentices under my instruction, in a very similar job to this as we were pulling new submains from a panel. Fortunately, we did properly isolate, test and lockout. Let me be clear, if something like this had happened on that job, I would have been in front of my boss having a very serious discussion about whether it was reasonable for me to still be employed by him. And during that discussion, I would have been thanking my lucky stars it wasn't across the desk from a prosecutor explaining what charges I was facing.

This is how seriously all the tradesmen who've answered you take this matter. We're not talking about people being scolded, or demoted, or even fired. These are events for which people go to prison. And if your supervisor doesn't take it that seriously, then he shouldn't be your supervisor, or anyone else's.

Okay, speech over. As you may be able to tell, this topic strikes a nerve with some of us. I'll just finish up by giving you the same words I give every trainee who comes into my company:

I want you to test everything. I want to see you test everything.
If I hand you a cable and say it's dead, I want you to test it.
If you just saw me isolate it, I still want you to test it.
Because one day I might be wrong.
And if that happens, I'll be very upset.
I might even go to prison.
But you'll be dead.

Wow, quite a read.

Let me first wish you a speedy recovery from any injury you have taken, and reiterate the other advice you've received regarding reporting this incident as far up the chain as needed.

I've worked with apprentices under my instruction, in a very similar job to this as we were pulling new submains from a panel. Fortunately, we did properly isolate, test and lockout. Let me be clear, if something like this had happened on that job, I would have been in front of my boss having a very serious discussion about whether it was reasonable for me to still be employed by him. And during that discussion, I would have been thanking my lucky stars it wasn't across the desk from a prosecutor explaining what charges I was facing.

This is how seriously all the tradesmen who've answered you take this matter. We're not talking about people being scolded, or demoted, or even fired. These are events for which people go to prison. And if your supervisor doesn't take it that seriously, then he shouldn't be your supervisor, or anyone else's.

Okay, speech over. As you may be able to tell, this topic strikes a nerve with some of us. I'll just finish up by giving you the same words I give every trainee who comes into my company:

I want you to test everything. I want to see you test everything.
If I hand you a cable and say it's dead, I want you to test it.
If you just saw me isolate it, I still want you to test it.
Because one day I might be wrong.
And if that happens, I'll be very upset.
I might even go to prison.
But you'll be dead.
Good words....Same goes with weapons

Last edited:
I think the key thing to take from this bad experience is - always do a test yourself, regardless! as much as you may trust someone, they may for what ever reason make a mistake that you or someone else might pay for.

Especially when working on boards like this where there is potentially 400v and lots of exposed conductors. I always, try my tester on a known live source to ensure its working correctly, then at least twice test across all the Phases to each other, to Neutral and to Earth both before and after safe isolation. Those few extra minutes proving its safe could be the difference between life and death!

Continue to speak with your HR, and don't concern yourselves with repercussions. You could suggest you are a 'whistle blower', that gives you rights under law.

Sound like this guy may have developed a cavalier attitude to safety over the years, wake up call for him, and he will probably thank you at a later time, and others that follow you.

Reply to I’m an apprentice - electrocuted under my bosses supervision in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net