Discuss Immersion Heater - PV electricity in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes, I expect the £50 a year is out of date, but does £150 a year assume that you will never have to heat water with gas, i.e. that there will always be enough surplus from the panels?

The other reason for not doing this is that I reckon it's greener to export the energy where some of it will be used to offset electricity generated at low efficiency, rather than gas being burnt for heat at high efficiency. But you don't benefit financially.

Download a better browser - there are far more important reasons for it than being able to read those forums.

Not my PC. I will try with Firefox tomorrow. But I am deeply mistrustful of web sites which cause unexplained crashes.

I was actually talking about the voltage transformer.

As I subsequently realised, hence my edited reply above about capacitative/resistive dividers, no phase shift with them (at least at 50Hz)!

But as the saving is so small (of the order of £50 a year if you're on mains gas?) I've shelved the project for the time being.

We are on oil so it has a much better payback, hence I am keen to make some progress before the longer, more productive days are here.

But as the saving is so small (of the order of £50 a year if you're on mains gas?) I've shelved the project for the time being.

I don’t know what the saving is but bear in mind that using a gas boiler in the summer to heat water is not as efficient as you think due to all the heat losses in the boiler and pipework. In winter the lost heat may help to warm your house but in summer it is a total loss and a nuisance if your house is too hot already. I started designing my controller because my pipe runs are particularly long and I was wasting a lot of gas on water heating. Also the maintenance costs of a boiler are high, unlike an immersion. Units like mine give a calculated payback of about 3 years which is pretty good for an energy saving/controlling device. PV panels take >10 years. How long does double glazing take?

Yes, I expect the £50 a year is out of date, but does £150 a year assume that you will never have to heat water with gas, i.e. that there will always be enough surplus from the panels?

The other reason for not doing this is that I reckon it's greener to export the energy where some of it will be used to offset electricity generated at low efficiency, rather than gas being burnt for heat at high efficiency. But you don't benefit financially.

Ok this is the green response. The power station burns gas to convert to electric at very very best 59 % efficiency, then there are losses due to transmission. few % every time a transformer is used to step up and down, then the resistance losses over many miles. I think use it at home first before wasting it over large losses in the grid. Using it is green . Your boiler is emitting co2 etc every time it runs and it is not a perfect converter of heat.

The other reason for not doing this is that I reckon it's greener to export the energy where some of it will be used to offset electricity generated at low efficiency. But you don't benefit financially.

Quite. It would be much better for the grid if I were to export all my production during daylight and continue to run the washing m/c and dishwasher in the small hours. But they have designed the financial (dis)incentives so that this doesn't make sense either.

Spent quite a long time reading all 36 pages of this with quite a lot of interest.

A few thoughts:

1) Once smart meters are installed (starting 2012) which measure export those who own their own panels will see little benefit in doing this. Currently 50% is assumed at 3.1p/kWh which is the same as gas however you're free to go "nuts" like the renta roof users and use as much of what you generate as you like. Once they measure everything that is exported there isn't really much benefit in heating water which you may not use at the same cost as gas (around the same 3p/kWh - differences in efficiency between gas boilers and immersion heaters aside)

2) Looking back on the bright side it may take until 2020 for smart meters to be rolled out everywhere. With that in mind (and changing the subject slightly) if you had a combi boiler but still wanted to take advantage of this usage of "wasted" power would it be worthwhile fitting a storage tank heated as described in the thread (in a smart manner!) and using the coil normally used by to heat the tank via a gas boiler to pre-heat the cold mains water feed to the combi? This way it would assist with both HW and CH albeit fairly minimally on cold overcast days. However any rise in input temp would reduce the gas needed. Is anyone doing this already?

Agreed, we should have fitted solar thermal but we're too tight probably, that and the RHI has still not happened.
Its best for all that the electricity is exported. Turning sun to electric to hot water is just mad.
Plus you have to lay out a lot of cash or risk turning sun into electricity into airing cupboard fire before heating the fireman's hose...

Spent quite a long time reading all 36 pages of this with quite a lot of interest.
if you had a combi boiler but still wanted to take advantage of this usage of "wasted" power would it be worthwhile fitting a storage tank heated as described in the thread (in a smart manner!) and using the coil normally used by to heat the tank via a gas boiler to pre-heat the cold mains water feed to the combi? This way it would assist with both HW and CH albeit fairly minimally on cold overcast days. However any rise in input temp would reduce the gas needed. Is anyone doing this already?

I know someone who uses old radiators to preheat water for a boiler and also provide a warm circuit for a heat pump.
Also its quite easy to put a black face on a south wall, batton and glass/perspect sheet and funnel that heat to, say, car heat exchangers.
Doesn't look too great but cheap and reliable. You could make it a feature somehow.
Costs you pennies and would allow you to export your hard earned solar electricity.

Ok this is the green response. The power station burns gas to convert to electric at very very best 59 % efficiency, then there are losses due to transmission. few % every time a transformer is used to step up and down, then the resistance losses over many miles. I think use it at home first before wasting it over large losses in the grid. Using it is green . Your boiler is emitting co2 etc every time it runs and it is not a perfect converter of heat.

Transmitting gas also uses a lot of power to pump it. Hopefully not much is lost to leaks.

Agreed, we should have fitted solar thermal but we're too tight probably, that and the RHI has still not happened.
Its best for all that the electricity is exported. Turning sun to electric to hot water is just mad.
Plus you have to lay out a lot of cash or risk turning sun into electricity into airing cupboard fire before heating the fireman's hose...

I thought this forum was for the development of electronic systems to turn exported electricity into hot water and save our selves some money. If you dont want to contribute why are you wasting your CO2 immissions and time in clogging up this forum????? Blunt yes I know!

I thought this forum was for the development of electronic systems to turn exported electricity into hot water and save our selves some money. If you dont want to contribute why are you wasting your CO2 immissions and time in clogging up this forum????? Blunt yes I know!
Agree!

Well done!
would it be worthwhile fitting a storage tank heated as described in the thread (in a smart manner!) and using the coil normally used by to heat the tank via a gas boiler to pre-heat the cold mains water feed to the combi? This way it would assist with both HW and CH albeit fairly minimally on cold overcast days. However any rise in input temp would reduce the gas needed.
Not sure how it would help with heating as there would be no water flowing through the coil. I think the other problem would be that the coil is in the wrong place - it needs to be at the top of the tank to make best use of the heat in the stored water, which otherwise wouldn't convect.

But the ideas discussed on this thread can be used in a greener fashion by offsetting electricity rather than gas consumption, by, for instance, powering fridge-freezers.

Turning sun to electric to hot water is just mad.
Plus you have to lay out a lot of cash...

Once the solar PV is installed it makes perfect economic sense to use it for water heating, since under the "deemed export" rule the marginal cost of own consumption is zero. Unless you go for the EMMA the extra capital expenditure for the controller is small and should have about the same payback (6 years).

Plus I do not fancy a load of extra plumbing and the need for frost protection etc. Besides which, on account of where my tank is situated, it would be a major job to change the immersion heater for a 1 kW one let alone change the tank for one with more elements or a second coil.

I didn't make the idiotic rules, I am just trying to optimise my usage given what they are.

Not my PC. I will try with Firefox tomorrow. But I am deeply mistrustful of web sites which cause unexplained crashes.
I'm glad you have a healthy distrust of the internet, but that distrust is probably misdirected as using an old browser is far more dangerous. Hope you manage to look at the site tomorrow - there's a lot of good stuff on it.
We are on oil so it has a much better payback, hence I am keen to make some progress before the longer, more productive days are here.
Agreed.

Well done!

Not sure how it would help with heating as there would be no water flowing through the coil. I think the other problem would be that the coil is in the wrong place - it needs to be at the top of the tank to make best use of the heat in the stored water, which otherwise wouldn't convect.

could you invert the tank to correct this? Interesting that no one has responded to my point about the smart meters coming from next year which potentially render this otherwise very good idea pointless if you own your panels as they will pay you for all export at the same rate as the gas saving. still an option for renta roof or those on oil.

Supporting an inverted hot water cylinder would be interesting, and you'd get air trapped at the top.

I guess most of us don't believe these smart meters are going to appear anything like as soon as promised.

Interesting that no one has responded to my point about the smart meters coming from next year which potentially render this otherwise very good idea pointless if you own your panels as they will pay you for all export at the same rate as the gas saving. still an option for renta roof or those on oil.

OK I will try to answer. If they pay you 3.1p and gas is 4p then look at it this way.

An immersion heater converts >99% of the electricity from grid or PV to hot water. A boiler at best converts 90%, if condensing. And if you add pipe loss it’s worse especially if short cycling and considering pipe loss. Mine probably converts <20% in summer. Also wasteful if you a have a pilot light on all summer just for a little water heating. Also condensing boilers in particular are not that reliable; my mother has spent £500 on 2 repairs to hers, so how much is added to the real cost for repairs and replacements? Maybe 1p extra per kWhr used. Less on non condensing boilers but more energy is wasted so it roughly balances out

So you can’t say that 3.1p is the same as the gas cost as the true gas cost will be 6p or more per kWhr actually delivered to the water. As the years go by the 3.1 is likely to rise with CPI whereas gas prices rise faster so it gets more imbalanced with time.

For those not on natural gas the costs are likely to be much higher.

Plus, as you say smart meters are not advancing that fast so my 3 year payback should be achieved before the meter changes.

echase,

I'm aware of all of those points (simplicity, efficiency etc) and agree with them and so on balance it will probably still be worthwhile doing it when they have the smart export meters in, just not as worthwhile as it is right now when the usage is unmetered. It's just a shame that I'm overseas for the next 4 years so whilst I managed to get my PV up just in time to receive the 43.3p/unit FITs there is a fair chance when I return the smart meters will be in.

However let's assume the smart meters don't appear until 2020. Is there anyway that I can use a storage tank in conjunction with a combi to get any benefits from a smart immersion controller like this? I see that my previous suggestion of using the coil to preheat incoming mains cold water is flawed due to placement and also possibly size. Unless it was a custom tank = expensive. I guess you could rig something up with a central heating pump circulating hot water from the top of the tank through a FPHE which carries the cold mains feed into the combi - the cooler water coming from the FPHE would go back into the bottom of the tank. So this wouldn't require a header tank. Is this way of doing it feasible or would it be too expensive to be worthwhile? I guess I would need a trigger to run the pump whenever a tap is opened, is this signal available on the boiler control PCB somewhere - i.e. the same one that tells the boiler to kick in? I've heard FPHE are very efficient and not too expensive. I'm no expert on heating systems as you can probably tell!

Would it be possible to do similar with the central heating circuit as well or would this become too complicated? I guess you'd need to ensure the radiator return water was several degrees cooler than the contents of the storage tank else you'd put no meaningful heat into it. Although I'd imagine generally there is less benefit trying to use "spare" PV electric via an immersion to heat your house as the time of year you need it is when the PV output is pretty low.

Reply to Immersion Heater - PV electricity in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net