Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Increasing supply, does DNO transformer look excessive? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. -Matt

-Matt Regular EF Member

Basically customer currently only has a 100A 3 phase supply, which is rather overloaded. Also has a 120KVA generator for a 55KW motor.

Im trying to get a larger supply so everything will run off the grid and not overloaded.

Ive spoken to the DNO in terms of trying to get a 400A supply.

DNO has asked for a list of large motors, and starting method, which is:

15KW motor 3 phase - S/D

11KW motor 3 phase - Soft start

36KW motor 3 phase - Soft start

15KW motor 3 phase - S/D

15KW motor 3 phase - S/D

55KW motor 3 phase - Soft start

Total power before diversity is around 180KW

There is HV overhead lines onto customer property, with current 100KVA pole transformer.

Was hoping for just a transformer change, along with new overhead cable, then 400A panel board etc at my end.

However the DNO want to install a 500KVA ground mounted sub station at a cost of £50,000.........

This seems rather excessive to me, and far more than the customer wants to spend...

The DNO are telling me its because of the starting current of the 36KW and 55KW motor.
    They are using 164 starting amps for the 36, and 250A for the 55KW.
    This doesn't sound right to me on a soft starter.

What do you guys think?

2. snowhead

snowhead Respected Member

Maybe they've not noticed it says Soft start,
    Or more likely their calculations don't take allowance for soft start.
    Are these motors part of individual pieces of plant with random start, or making up a sequenced start system?

And presumably they've built in some spare capacity for the transformer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. plugsandsparks

plugsandsparks Electrician's Arms

You have asked for a 400A supply, £50,000 is normal price from DNO. Not seen them mount a big one on a pole

4. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

You could always ask for the option of just having an 11kv supply and your customer buy his own transformer.

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

Get their own 11kV generator as well, and they could sell to the grid.