Discuss indicators faulty... in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Your flasher unit is fine , but to find it put the working indicator on an locate it by the clicking noise. Usually under the dash.
If your rear flasher lamp is working ;and as spin has said, the repeater and front is not, you have a break in supply to those.
Simply follow the supply to those checking were the voltage or neg disappears ,then you should have it.

With a voltage tester, test from the wire that goes to the center pin to the lamp with the rear indicator on to a good earth. If there is no indication on either lamp and the rear flasher is still flashing , you have lost the live to those two lamps.

Just wondering Ruston.... is there an easy way to trace the break in supply without ripping apart all the wiring ?? Also I'm guessing there is only one relay for all the indicators and considering I only have the front left and side out, the relay (if there is only one) is OK ??
Thanks Ruston, much appreciated...
Matt...

the relay will be OK as it's firing volts to both sides of the car. if the bulb is known to be good, then it's definitely a loss of either + or - to thethe non working lamp. 99% of the time, it will be within 6" of the lamp.

As Tel has said the loss is usually local, unless the car has had some damage ,or other work done to disturb the wiring.
The easy way IS with a voltage tester from the lamp and work your way back.
It may be that you have just lost the neg if you have corrosion on the bodywork in the area of the neg termination if it is common to the front lamp and repeater.
A voltage tester with sharp probes to pierce the insulation is the type I mean.

On a car that age (depending on your climate lol) the wiring close to the contacts could well be tarnished and near 'mush'. Check that first.

Thanks guys, yeah I have a voltage tester with sharp probes so I'll use that and work my way back from the flasher, just one more question.... since I have both the side and the front bulbs out is there one I should concentrate on first? Oh and yes I checked the earth to the chassis, it wasn't corroded but I cleaned it and tightened it... no result but I will try your helpful advice, thanks... yes the climate here is 'bloody hot mate' lol it actually knocks me around as much as some Brit's I meet, I'm from the South of New Zealand... thanks for the help...

If the front lamp has two terminals to the contact there is a good chance it supplies the repeater but not guaranteed. vice versa for the repeater.
It is more likely that it is tapped from the passing harness though.

Good luck. It is best to find the fault and not to add a supply from the working rear to the front lamps, for peace of mind and safety.

Reply to indicators faulty... in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net