Discuss Induction Hob - diversity. in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GT1

Obviously it's new technology and not necessarily dealt with in existing regs. But anyone know if diversity is applied any differently when installing ?
ie 10 Amps plus 30% of remaining load. ?
cheers

as each ring is thermostatically controlled and all may not be on at the same time, i see no reason to stray from current diversity calculations.

I do the Christmas day test -

Assume all rings on at full chat and work from there, no diversity applied. Wouldn't want to ruin anyone's Christmas dinner with nuisance tripping or worse.

I can see some logic to that. However we can't design everything so that it's prohibitively over-engineered can we. ?
Otherwise we could just over-egg everything and not worry about correction factors and diversity for anything.
With no diversity, this hob requires fusing at 50amps !!
That poses some serious issues on the existing supply side, all the way back to the service head...

I do the Christmas day test -

Assume all rings on at full chat and work from there, no diversity applied. Wouldn't want to ruin anyone's Christmas dinner with nuisance tripping or worse.
You are forgetting as mentioned in earlier post even with everything on especially the oven the simmer stats are constantly energising and de-energising the element to maintain a set temp so its still unlikely to pull full labled load and if it does the duration isnt long enough to be of concern hence the the diversity applied may seem larger than common sense would have you believe.

So glad i bought a gas hob. no diversity, no discussion, nore wiring, no idecision, just hot food

doesn't matter what type of hob. her indoors will always leave the chip pan on and go out for a smoke. had to fit a heat rise in the kitchen last week.

You are forgetting as mentioned in earlier post even with everything on especially the oven the simmer stats are constantly energising and de-energising the element to maintain a set temp so its still unlikely to pull full labled load and if it does the duration isnt long enough to be of concern hence the the diversity applied may seem larger than common sense would have you believe.

Very true. I work on the assumption that 4 pans of cold water go on for various green things (vegetables allegedly unless my wife gets a hold of them). Now it may take 3-5 mins or more for all 4 to get too boiling, that's long enough for me to assume that working on full for long enough to justify using 6mm instead of 4mm. And I accept yes it may be over engineering, but I don't have a definite answer or solution so I always err on the side of caution, rightly or wrongly.

Just my opinion and we all know the saying about that.

With 2 zones on boost on most induction Hobs the current is a steady 40A!
They seem to work differently from the old ceramic types
I wouldn't advise any diversity factor on these babies

I also have an induction hob, great bits of kit they are too. Now these things heat up the contents of the pans so quick on boost, that the simmer-stats soon come into play. They are as controllable as a gas hob, unlike the other forms of electric element hobs, ....halogen and the like!!!

Now the cooker diversity formula in the regs, have been proved and have worked now for almost 60+ years, they are good for loads up to 15KW. It is the only diversity factor they quote in the Regs, that can be relied on as being reliable!!!

Reply to Induction Hob - diversity. in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net