Discuss Insualtuion Resistance - individual circuits V bank of MCBs & RCD readings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Motty

Tested each of 9 new circuits in usual way of L.O.C. and IR, all in theory ok ... CCU is a Hagar split-load dual RCD. 1-4 on RCD1 / 5 - 9 on RCD2

Aware that no requirement for "collective" IR on EIC, just individual circuits.

When tested from the outgoing L of the RCD2 to MCB busbar (all MCBs on, RCD off) to the respective N bar, got 0.06 M ohm - fail. Turn off all MCBs, get >999. Then turn on each one (5 to 9) until circuit 9 reveals the sudden drop.

Take out #9 conductors and test again individually (Downstairs Lighting) showing 600-odd M ohm rather than >999Mohm on L-N (L-E and N-E >999M) (All PIR lights have been disconnected before test) Extractor fan for WC connected so switch off at the 3-pole isolator (Assume Test current detecting / shorting / connecting across motor coil / winding) reconnect into MCB, and now L-N up to 100 odd M-ohms. Still concerned LN is lacking behind LE and NE in the readings overall, and had to call it a day at that point.

No fused spurs or neons, no lamps / bulbs, and the individual test without circuit being connected to the MCB is satisfactory, Yet fails (under 1 M ohm) when connected to MCB / RCD. I discounted reading interference from the RCD as the other 4 circuits in this bank all check out (>999) connected. None of it is Live yet (no connection to new property yet) but brain dead after a very long couple of days! ... any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated

cheers

Tested each of 9 new circuits in usual way of L.O.C. and IR, all in theory ok ... CCU is a Hagar split-load dual RCD. 1-4 on RCD1 / 5 - 9 on RCD2

When tested from the outgoing L of the RCD2 to MCB busbar (all MCBs on, RCD off) to the respective N bar, got 0.06 M ohm - fail. Turn off all MCBs, get >999. Then turn on each one (5 to 9) until circuit 9 reveals the sudden drop.

Take out #9 conductors and test again individually (Downstairs Lighting) showing 600-odd M ohm rather than >999Mohm on L-N (L-E and N-E >999M) (All PIR lights have been disconnected before test) Extractor fan for WC connected so switch off at the 3-pole isolator (Assume Test current detecting / shorting / connecting across motor coil / winding) reconnect into MCB, and now L-N up to 100 odd M-ohms. Still concerned LN is lacking behind LE and NE in the readings overall, and had to call it a day at that point.

No fused spurs or neons, no lamps / bulbs, and the individual test without circuit being connected to the MCB is satisfactory, Yet fails (under 1 M ohm) when connected to MCB / RCD. I discounted reading interference from the RCD as the other 4 circuits in this bank all check out (>999) connected. None of it is Live yet (no connection to new property yet) but brain dead after a very long couple of days! ... any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated

cheers

Think I have understood post correctly. Have you tested between circuit 9 Live and all the individual RCD2 side neutrals?

Bit confusing, have you disconnected the suspect circuit Line, Neutral and CPC and tried testin just that circuit, as you don't seem to have done that, or am I reading your thread the wrong way?

Bit confusing, have you disconnected the suspect circuit Line, Neutral and CPC and tried testin just that circuit, as you don't seem to have done that, or am I reading your thread the wrong way?

He says he has done that and that it tested clear. It only shows L&N fault when connected to N bar.

Hi both thanks for replys -

Take out #9 conductors and test again individually (Downstairs Lighting) showing 600-odd M ohm rather than >999Mohm on L-N (L-E and N-E >999M)

yes did disconnect individual circuit and retested - the results were ok but fails when reconnected into the MCB ...

Not quite fully understanding but if you only get this fault when connected to neutral bar could possibly be borrowed neutral? though you said all lamps were out.

Definitely no loads still connected? loft light, aerial amplifier, outside light etc etc

Can you confirm that all is good when you test the cable alone and separate

Not quite fully understanding but if you only get this fault when connected to neutral bar could possibly be borrowed neutral? though you said all lamps were out.

Definitely no loads still connected? loft light, aerial amplifier, outside light etc etc

Can you confirm that all is good when you test the cable alone and separate

He has confirmed this.

This may be the RCD (I normally disconnect them for IR).

Hi again

The bank of MCBs 5-8 on RCD2 are fine, its only when i switch mcb9 to on that the IR dropped to 0.06.

Tested across L busbar / RCD terminal to RCD2 neutral bar.

Load of Ext fan is still connected but off at the 3pole isolator, but have'nt physically detached the wires from isolator to fan.

Circuit #9 Live, Neutral and CPC conductors removed and tested individually = LN = 600+MO, LE = >999MO, NE= >99MO

No borrowed neutrals - all new circuits in new build house.

No lamps or neons, no fused spurs, 8 x downlighter connections disconnected at the click-flow connectors.

Meggerman
have you tested between circuit 9 Live and all the individual RCD2 side neutrals one at a time?

no haven't done this - guessing this in case of cross connection with another circuit? ie. borrowed neutral?

Hi again

The bank of MCBs 5-8 on RCD2 are fine, its only when i switch mcb9 to on that the IR dropped to 0.06.

Tested across L busbar / RCD terminal to RCD2 neutral bar.

Load of Ext fan is still connected but off at the 3pole isolator, but have'nt physically detached the wires from isolator to fan.

Circuit #9 Live, Neutral and CPC conductors removed and tested individually = LN = 600+MO, LE = >999MO, NE= >99MO

No borrowed neutrals - all new circuits in new build house.

No lamps or neons, no fused spurs, 8 x downlighter connections disconnected at the click-flow connectors.

Meggerman
have you tested between circuit 9 Live and all the individual RCD2 side neutrals one at a time?

no haven't done this - guessing this in case of cross connection with another circuit? ie. borrowed neutral?

Is this with the other MCBs off? If so then definitely RCD

additionally following on from testing circuit 9 Live to all neutrals on RCD 2 there are 2 circuits with fused spurs (immersion heater outlet) but I have removed the fuses from the fascia cartridges

Hawkmoon - didnt't try that either ... think my process of logical elimination went to pot ... however the other four MCBs on that RCD seemed fine switched On and connected to that RCD, hence i discounted the RCD at that point.

Obviously (if i'm reading this correctly) the problem lies on the lighting circuit, and not knowing what you actually mean by ''PIR lights disconnected'', because if you are testing with the PIR L+N still connected and the lights not, you will still be reading through the sensor. If that's the case, then you'll be lucky if the PIR is still functioning, if your testing at 500V...

I think this may be one of those 'you have to be there' kind of faults!

All

Thanks for the replies and interpreting my waffle. its given me some fresh thoughts and stuff to eliminate on retesting. Thankfully not live yet, and not even DNO connected for another month.

bit of a nightmare and another lesson learned for me to do my testing with a clear head and not at the end of a 14hr day, with a 50 mile drive to go on top!

cheers

Engineer54> I did remove these conductors and taped the ends before the IR (500v) test, on all PIR fittings. Certain nothing other than the Ext fan was connected and this was switched off at the 3pole isolator

I've got a bit lost on this one BUT if there is a very low IR as you suggest the only thing to do is closely inspect the specific circuit in question.

It sounds like a new build so as you installed it then fault finding should be a breeze!

If you're sure there's no obvious short (from inspection) ... sounds like may be a tranny/dimmer/relay or lamp still in circuit somewhere, something's obv current hungry somewhere.

Time to start successive dividing of the circuit to close in on the fault; if reinspecting reveals nothing. Start by disc at CU end, then move to approx middle of circuit and try both legs there and repeat.

No idea what you mean by "L.O.C.", but insulation resistance should be tested with all circuits in parallel (and with the means of Earthing connected) rather than each circuit. If you test circuits individually then you would need to calculate the parallel resistance to see if it complied with the minimum acceptable for BS 7671.

Reply to Insualtuion Resistance - individual circuits V bank of MCBs & RCD readings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net