Discuss Insulation tape on connector blocks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

nope. block should be enclosed in a suitable enclosure such as a wagobox, with the outer sheath inside said enclosure. i.e.no basic insulation outside.

Is it ok though as long as they’re stuffed inside a disused knockout box and tiled over? Found on a recent kitchen rewrire. ??

076384EA-C34F-4F2F-88A5-03465FB6CBB6.jpeg
B1AE1554-5AC2-4354-B787-71D9AD6F7C2E.jpeg

definitely not OK. how could anyone know there was a cable vertical from that box, once it had bee tiled over.

I know mate, and that wasn’t the worst of what I found. There was all sorts going on.

I had that a couple of years back, except they’d skimmed over it and left the live touching the back box so every time the poor woman washed the walls she got a belt...

Bloody Hell, that can’t have been pleasant for her, it’s madness what some people do.

I would also question their logic of tiling over it in the first place ...

Could have just stuck a double socket on it and had an extra power point

It was probably the same logic they used when they decided to run sockets off a 5amp lighting circuit.

That flex attached to the T&E in the picture (did) eventually end up at an outside socket. No RCD protection, old wooden framed rewireable wylex board too.

If it’s easily accessible I thought a cocky block was acceptable? I just wasn’t sure the reason we tape over the terminal block as all live conductors are terminated and the block is plastic?

If it’s easily accessible I thought a cocky block was acceptable? I just wasn’t sure the reason we tape over the terminal block as all live conductors are terminated and the block is plastic?
If it is accessible then yes, a chock block or “cocky block?!!” Is just fine.
Tape is not required in my opinion

If a terminal block is not adequately enclosed to provide the necessary protection, a bit of PVC tape is not sufficient to complete the job. OTOH if it is adequately enclosed, the tape won't add anything. FWIW there are very few places where PVC insulating tape is actually useful for insulating. It's useful for all sorts of other things though.

Reply to Insulation tape on connector blocks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net