Discuss intermittant overall rcd fault in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

At least you forfilled your reponsibilites as much as possible , why don't try and talk to his daughter explaining the possible dangers, might save calling out the fire brigade in 9 months time!

Shame you can't get in there and check the N's on his meter. I'd reckon it to be the culprit. it caught me out once, i only found it 'cause my ear was right next to the meter.

I know it is a shame
I checked the N's at the meter and they were ok
I went round to see his daughter last night with his reciept and a 3 page printed letter explaining everything
gave it to her and explained the lot, when I told her hed instructed me to stop work and to refit his old board and that the faults remained she groaned ohhhh nooooo with her head in her hands
she understood that id tried to do everything i possibly could to sort it out but hed stopped me and was going round today to speak to him,. I dont blame him he was just fed up with the constant tripping and wasnt prepared to pay for the time
I made sure on the invoice everything i did was listed and (FREE) marked next to the work hed not been charged for (there was lots!)
she asked how much to sort out and i advised I couldnt estimate and it would be time and materials but if they ever needed a cert for the flat, they wouldnt get one with the old board and the faults
told her if anyone fits the new board then the faults have to be sorted otherwise the rcd wont set
the ball is now in their court and Im happy ive done everything possible to help him
ultimatly tho it boils down to money that hes not prepared to pay
shame but thats how it goes!!

My money is on a low IR N - E fault on your ring final.
The more you load it (eg cooker/ microwave) the higher the current
will be that's bypassing the Rcd (parallel conductors) - It may only
be a tiny amount flowing via the cpc but it only has to be 20/25 mA
and...trip
The likes of the TV etc probably won't draw enough to do it.

That's my bet anyway - looks like you might be spending the day
splitting the ring:)[/QUO

yeah agree with that it's almost always N-E, I've had 3 or 4 that sound similar

Reply to intermittant overall rcd fault in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net