Discuss Introduce myself and a smoke detector question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dickydodds

Hi all - this is a great forum and have picked up loads of tips.

I have just passed my EAL VRQ Level 2 course for Part P Installers and have just signed up to Elecsa and awaiting their assessment date etc.

In the meantime, to start getting some cash in and my name known, I am looking to install smoke detectors in hallways and landing, optical type with RF interconnection.

My question is, do I have to issue a minor works certificate as I will be adding them to the lighting circuit and do I have to issue a BS5839-part 6 certificate?

I am unsure if I need to do either as installing the alarm would constitute extending a lighting circuit and the BS5839 Part 6 regs are a code of practice only.

Cheers,
Dicky

You need to both.

Thanks, I thought so.

One last thing - I know they must be interlinked in new dwellings and extensions to dwellings, but if installed in an already existing dwelling, must they be interlinked as well? It looks like they dont but I'm still not sure after reading the bumf!
It would seem stupid forcing people to interlink them just because they are having mains one fitted and of course, not all are RF connected and people wouldnt want to pay the extra for making new chases etc for the wiring!

Dicky

Reply to Introduce myself and a smoke detector question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Do Grade F1 smoke detectors with 10yr sealed battery and RF linking capability satisfy the BS 5839 -Part 6
Replies
Views
I currently have a home with 7 interconnected, hard-wired smoke detectors. I have a hard-wired heat alarm in the garage that I need to have...
Replies
Views
I've asked a similar question before I think and we came to the conclusion that apart from new houses and HMO's etc there aren't any rules about...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’ve been a long time viewer of the forums and have used many times to answer queries I have come across. I am a 26 year veteran...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just introducing myself, I recently qualified as a domestic installer, after many years of doing basic electrical work. I wanted the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock