Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR test results.

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by DNS1, Feb 22, 2012.

Discuss IR test results. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. DNS1

DNS1 Electrician's Arms

Hi guys,

Tested my new kitchen circuit today, all results as expected for a new RFC except the IR between line and earth.

The resistance between line and neutral and neutral and earth is >1000 MOhms as expected, but between line and earth it's in the region of 3 MOhms.

After disconnecting parts of the RFC and re-checking, I've found that the insulation fault lies in one leg of the ring which runs above a ceiling and comes out in the new kitchen (this is the only re-used piece of cable from the previous installation).

I know it's not a major issue as it's "ok" according to the regs, but I'm wondering what's causing the problem.

Any suggestions for me?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    if you've had plastering done, it could be damp. could also be a JB above ceiling or a problem in an existing socket.

3. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

cable "nicked" perhaps?...

4. GLENNSPARK

maybe....check all accessable joints/areas first..........

5. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Dammit Glenn that was my idea:)

• Like Like x 2
  6. DNS1

DNS1 Electrician's Arms

I've removed a JB today in the offending section and crimped the ends instead, but no change to the readings.

As far as I can tell there are no other joints in the cable, it's just a straight run through a void above a downstairs ceiling.

No plastering done recently either...

Thanks for the help guys

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. GLENNSPARK

can a new length of cable be pulled in...using the old as a draw wire?........if so then IR the length of new cable you plan to pull in first wont you....just to be sure as its a sod....doing the job twice that is..lol.....

8. GLENNSPARK

sorry Trev mate.....

9. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

Got to go with Glen on this one. OK it passes muster, but are you happy with it? I wouldn’t be. For the price of a few meters of 2.5 T&E and a bit of time I’d rip it out.

I also hate to say this but what about the rest of the installation? It could be you’ve just found the odd bit or cable that’s got a nick in it, but….

All right I can be a wet weekend at times.

Have a nice day

View attachment 10843

10. Lee Marshall

Lee Marshall Active EF Member

id run a new cable, sounds a bit iffy. dont want a new kitchen in and then thigns starting to trip