Discuss IR test results. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Tested my new kitchen circuit today, all results as expected for a new RFC except the IR between line and earth.

The resistance between line and neutral and neutral and earth is >1000 MOhms as expected, but between line and earth it's in the region of 3 MOhms.

After disconnecting parts of the RFC and re-checking, I've found that the insulation fault lies in one leg of the ring which runs above a ceiling and comes out in the new kitchen (this is the only re-used piece of cable from the previous installation).

I know it's not a major issue as it's "ok" according to the regs, but I'm wondering what's causing the problem.

Any suggestions for me?

if you've had plastering done, it could be damp. could also be a JB above ceiling or a problem in an existing socket.

I've removed a JB today in the offending section and crimped the ends instead, but no change to the readings.

As far as I can tell there are no other joints in the cable, it's just a straight run through a void above a downstairs ceiling.

No plastering done recently either...

Thanks for the help guys

Last edited:
can a new length of cable be pulled in...using the old as a draw wire?........if so then IR the length of new cable you plan to pull in first wont you....just to be sure as its a sod....doing the job twice that is..lol.....

Got to go with Glen on this one. OK it passes muster, but are you happy with it? I wouldn’t be. For the price of a few meters of 2.5 T&E and a bit of time I’d rip it out.

I also hate to say this but what about the rest of the installation? It could be you’ve just found the odd bit or cable that’s got a nick in it, but….

All right I can be a wet weekend at times.

Have a nice day

View attachment 10843

Reply to IR test results. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net