Discuss Irish socket outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oracle

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been on holiday in Ireland for a week and every socket outlet in the flat is single unswitched. It's not an old flat and I realise it's acceptable I'm just so used switched sockets.

They don't need a switch on them, they come on when the tap is turned on, the tap is the switch.

What is this tap of which we speak? There is a well and bucket for fresh water and a midden and bucket for waste water. I can't find a standard offering the minimum distance between them.

It was common at a time for socket outlets to be unswitched. It's less common nowadays. I've heard it claimed that it was a Rule at one time.

it's because it took 50 years to teach the Irish how toplug the plug in. funds ran out before the 2nd 50 year course... how to flick a switch. :D:D:mad:

it's because it took 50 years to teach the Irish how toplug the plug in. funds ran out before the 2nd 50 year course... how to flick a switch. :D:D:mad:

Since you are a scouser I'll allow for a lower expectation. I have been impressed with the polite and friendly people who have made my holiday here a really good experience.

Can you remember the reason for the ruling? I have pondered this a bit .
I suspect in domestic installations it was so that people would realise that to properly disconnect an appliance the sure-fire way was to decouple the plug and socket. I'm not certain whether it was a Rule or whether that is just an old wives' tale. Unfortunately I don't have an out-of-date enough Edition of the Wiring Rules to check.

My Irish grandad told me they used to think the live and neutral pins were the other way round over the pond...….that's why they fitted them upside down to solve the problem. ;)

Enormous shopping centre in Dundrum if you're into that kind of thing.
I'm not a shopper as such but I had fun on the downhill travellator to the delight of the folk on the uphill travellator.
Because I have a dodgy knee I use a mobility scooter and I wait at the top until the downhill one is clear and freewheel down it. Fastest my little scooter has been!

Can you remember the reason for the ruling? I have pondered this a bit .
Paddette kept switching them off so Paddy got rid of the switch to annoy her, Paddy is now in the graveyard and Paddette has moved on to a full wireless system with voice control, trouble is nothing works as the AI can't decipher the accent.........

I'm not a shopper as such but I had fun on the downhill travellator to the delight of the folk on the uphill travellator.
Because I have a dodgy knee I use a mobility scooter and I wait at the top until the downhill one is clear and freewheel down it. Fastest my little scooter has been!
Thought you normally holidayed in Benidorm.......

Reply to Irish socket outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net