• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Is a borrowed earth allowed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Done an EICR yday on an old house and all ok apart from 2 issues..
1) 32A cooker circuit had high resistance pec continuity (over2kohms) ALTHO it did buzz out on my voltage probes. Hence not able to get a Zs reading and no rcd tripping. The dual rcd consumer unit was fitted 10 yrs ago and those test readings all available and fine. Kitchen was refitted 3 yrs ago and no docs available so they extended original cooker cable prob from the switch which is now tiled over somewhere.
.. I've put in an earth wire link from an immediately adjacent rfc socket into the cooker switch and this solves this problem.
Question .. is this ok as a permanent solution if i label up what ive done?
2) lowish IR readings 1.75M L-E and N-E on light circuits and one rfc but possibly in hindsight due to some bulbs, fan and appliances still plugged in. Could this account for it?

1 I wouldn't do it.

2 Could be anything, light bulbs shouldn't be causing L/N - E insulation faults!

Edit: Wow I was way too slow.

Not right now Westy, but go ahead fill yer boots
What I am saying is that he has done nothing wrong, it is permitted provided it is adequate for a cpc to serve more than one circuit. What he has done may seem unorthodox but I was asking for those who disagree with his actions to back it up with a Regulation.

What I am saying is that he has done nothing wrong, it is permitted provided it is adequate for a cpc to serve more than one circuit. What he has done may seem unorthodox but I was asking for those who disagree with his actions to back it up with a Regulation.
Ah right, I don't have a copy of BS 7671, so in all honesty I can't confirm if there is a regulation.

Anyone want to quote a Regulation where this is not permitted providing the borrowed cpc is adequate for fault protection requirements.
Question - what is the state of the cpc for the cable, along its length? Cables in walls 522.6.202 has me thinking about a screw being driven into the cable. If CPC is 2K then it should be sufficient to trip a 30mA RCD but the screw may exceed the 50V max target (1667 Ohms).

Reply to Is a borrowed earth allowed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back