Discuss Is a fused double pole isolator classed as a consumer unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Deleted account

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’ve just replaced a faulty 63A double pole isolator supplying a feed to a consumer unit several meters away to a flat.
ive come to do the notification on the niceic web page and there is no appropriate category to tick other than

circuit addition or alteration in a special locatiom
install a replacement consumer unit
partial rewire
rewire of all circiuits
install one or more new circuits
new build
unless I call the isolator a consumer unit ( which it isn’t) I don’t have a category.

thanks in advance.

I would have called nic but there shut now And I wanted to get this finished tonight. Any thoughts.

I think using consumer unit is a bit too narrow. I have replaced triple-pole dist boards under Part P which are not consumer units. Personally I would notify.

That’s what I was starting to think, but surely that can’t be right.
Sorry, you just said isolator in your op.
I suppose you could argue that as it changes the characteristics of the circuit it should be notified.
If in doubt just notify it a consumer unit change, if wrong your only crime is miss describing the works. But at least you’ve notified it and covered yourself.

I don’t want to notify that I’ve done the consumer unit, as I haven’t. The cu in place at moment was fitted by a non electrician or an electrician that really shouldn’t be. So I don’t want my name associated with it if someone searches building control In the future to see who installed it.

I know the cert I am supplying states the extent, so I think I’ll just notify under consumer unit.

maybe I’m over thinking it.

it's an alteration to a circuit. MWC is all that's needed.

If like for like then its maintenance and repairs, not notifiable, as there has been no material change to anything significant from initial installation.

MWC for me. Just to record that it has been tested and competently installed.

I think you did right Pete, I've just looked up consumer in definitions (never thought I'd ever have to do that) and it says 'one or more fuses, circuit-breakers etc etc' So it's a consumer unit.
Regarding responsibility, I put the certificate number, in this case a MWC number on the part p notification and the notification ref number on the certificate. The certificate has more detail on the scope of the work covered.

I’ve just replaced a faulty 63A double pole isolator supplying a feed to a consumer unit several meters away to a flat.
ive come to do the notification on the niceic web page and there is no appropriate category to tick other than

circuit addition or alteration in a special locatiom
install a replacement consumer unit
partial rewire
rewire of all circiuits
install one or more new circuits
new build
unless I call the isolator a consumer unit ( which it isn’t) I don’t have a category.

thanks in advance.

I would have called nic but there shut now And I wanted to get this finished tonight. Any thoughts.
Hi, it looks like you are trying to register it as "notifiable work". if you have just replaced a switch fuse don't feel that it comes under notifiable work. If anything I would do a minor works certificate to cover yourself

I think you did right Pete, I've just looked up consumer in definitions (never thought I'd ever have to do that) and it says 'one or more fuses, circuit-breakers etc etc' So it's a consumer unit.
Regarding responsibility, I put the certificate number, in this case a MWC number on the part p notification and the notification ref number on the certificate. The certificate has more detail on the scope of the work covered.
Nice one. That clarifies things nicely. I was starting to thing I’d made a mistake and a call to nic tomorrow to correct things. But if that’s the definition. Brill.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Here is the full definition:

Consumer unit (may also be known as a consumer control unit or electricity control unit).
A particular type of distribution board comprising a type-tested co-ordinated assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy, principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double-pole isolation on the incoming circuit(s) AND an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit-breakers, residual current operated devices or signalling and other devices proven during the type-test of the assembly as suitable for such use.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Here is the full definition:

Consumer unit (may also be known as a consumer control unit or electricity control unit).
A particular type of distribution board comprising a type-tested co-ordinated assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy, principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double-pole isolation on the incoming circuit(s) AND an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit-breakers, residual current operated devices or signalling and other devices proven during the type-test of the assembly as suitable for such use.
Well a 63a switch fuse is an assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy PM, it also incorperates a manual means of double pole isolation on the incoming circuit and an assembly of one fuse.

Happy to be shown that I'm wrong but that's my take.

Reply to Is a fused double pole isolator classed as a consumer unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net