Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Is it right?? - Police officer still working for police and doing electrical and plumbing work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Got a call from a local builder this week, asking if I could come and "have a look at a job". Upon asking what it was he said electrics in a new extension. So, as it was on my way home I called in for a butchers. Turns out it has already been done and he just want's "a sparky to issue a cert". I had a quick look round and straight away noticed 3 cables dropping out the ceiling clipped down the wall and through to the outside about a metre from the floor, no internal accessories or anything. I asked him what they were for and he said "oh the customer wants some low level bulkheads down the outside of the wall. So I asked him who had wired it up and he said XXXXX. now, this is about the 6th time i've been dragged round to a "job" like this and I just thought "right, blow this", so I said to the builder, "this job looks like a load of c**p mate so no I am not interested in "giving you a cert" and by the way that will cost you £40 for a call out, to which he told me to *** off. So, I kind of mentioned that I was on pretty good pints in the local terms with the local BCO (true) and that it might slip one evening, to which he reached into his grubby pocket and shoved 2 £20's into my hand. Now, on further digging about, I have discovered that the "sparky" involved is a still working COPPER who has done electrical, plumbing and god knows what other "courses" in the last 2 years of his service before retirement at the grand old age of 55. Never has my gob been so smacked, is it right??

• Like Like x 1
  2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

What Certs do you give people, I never get involved with jobs like this but what do you mean when you say is it right.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sparksburnout

He wanted it notified to building control, "third party certification" I believe it is called. What I mean by "is it right" was the fact that a copper, in full employment as such, is moonlighting doing this sort of thing.

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

As the Police can retire at 55, they, like almost all firemen, get ready for a "career" after they finish in the force......... but fireman do it from day 1.

I know as one of my neighbours gets paid to snooze all night at the fire station, then works at his 2nd job during the day.......

5. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Got you now.

6. sparksburnout

Well that's cos of all those metal CU's now.......

• Like Like x 5
  7. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

Police pension rules changed about 10 years ago but with the old police pension scheme officers can retire after 30 years on full pension. Some officers who joined as cadets at the age of 19 retired at 49. Not the case now. New officers have to work longer, pay more and get less of a pension. Nothing to stop a police officer training in his spare time. If they are running a business they have to declare it to their relevant police service in case there is a conflict of interest. Sounds like whatever course he may or may not have done didn't teach him much. The builder who offered you £20.00 might like to read up on the Bribery Act!

• Like Like x 1
  8. happyhippydad

happyhippydad Member Electrician's Arms

I think it is perfectly acceptable for a policeman to have another job. I expect the police force that he is with will have a policy on 'secondary employment' and if he has completed the paperwork and his secondary employment does not impact on his abilities to do his primary job (policeman) properly then it's fine. This is my experience of other public sector jobs anyway.

9. FatAlan

I thought with 3rd party certification the competent person had to be notified prior to the work being started?

10. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Respected Member

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    A competent electrician, who is registered as a third party certifier, must be informed prior to work starting and they need to inspect and test as required, based on the competence of the person installing, and then provide an EICR after completion and file this with their self certification scheme.

11. FatAlan

So is there a system for additional registration of 3rd party certifiers on top of them just being registered on a competent persons scheme?

12. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

Yes, but not all of the CPS offer it, and of those who do, not many sparks have taken up the (£ more) option!

13. sparksburnout

So you think it is OK for a guy in a perfectly well paid job with a very good pension to be moonlighting, probably undercutting other sparks who are trying to make a living as their sole occupation? How would you feel if you lost a job to some part time fly-by-night who is just doing it for beer money, and not very well at that?? Sorry matey I don't think it's perfectly acceptable at all.

14. sparksburnout

Yes he does, that's part of my point. This goons just doing it with a couldn't care less attitude, and hes a copper!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2016
  15. 7029 dave

7029 dave Forum Mentor

I would not take on responsibility for any one else's work, because that's what you would be doing.

• Like Like x 1