• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Is there such a thing as a "DIY electrical job"? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi......I'm not an electrician but have worked as an "electrician's mate" for a NICEIC registered contractor for a couple of years after I retired. I've been a member of this forum for a few months and enjoy reading the posts, hoping to pick up some tips.

In the description of the site it says "DIY and Auto Electricians Talk and share advice" and although for the most part your members are happy to help there seems to me to be a more than a few who blind the "OP" with technical terms that only a qualified electrician would understand -I think their mindset is "if you don't understand what Ze is or have a MFT you shouldn't undertake this job" Also, several responses say quite curtly "get an electrician in" and I understand that in many cases that is the correct advice.

Obviously I'm not belittling in any way the need for"competence" when working on electrical installations but is it the case that there is no such thing as a DIY electrical job?

I think most forum users agree that there is no real need for the DIY forum. It is there to bring in traffic to the forum.
There are certain small jobs I would expect a diyer to perform, but none would extend to the alteration of any fixed wiring.

DIY'ers, in the most are capable of doing the work involved. Some are not.

There may be more to adding a new socket to a ring circuit, for example, that a layman just hasn't thought of.

It may be a perfectly safe installation, but without properly testing, you can only be 99% sure.

Whatever talents Joe Public may have, getting a professional tradesman in to do any job is always sound advice.

Some might consider changing accessories as a DIY job, but get it wrong you end up with it
A) not working
B) goes bang
C) burning at terminals

Changing light fittings might also be considered a DIY task but again the average person always expects only 3 cable to be at the light L,N,E
Then when they take it down and are faced with a typical loop in wiring method, it has them baffled.

I suppose it comes down to an individuals skills, but then again if people come on here asking for advice on very simple things, then you think “should they really be tackling this?”

that reminds me.... nice sunny day. do I replace the brake pads on the van myself or call the local garage? it's an equation.... £50 versus more wear on 71 year old knees, and a couple of shinned knuckles.

Hi......I'm not an electrician but have worked as an "electrician's mate" for a NICEIC registered contractor for a couple of years after I retired. I've been a member of this forum for a few months and enjoy reading the posts, hoping to pick up some tips.

In the description of the site it says "DIY and Auto Electricians Talk and share advice" and although for the most part your members are happy to help there seems to me to be a more than a few who blind the "OP" with technical terms that only a qualified electrician would understand -I think their mindset is "if you don't understand what Ze is or have a MFT you shouldn't undertake this job" Also, several responses say quite curtly "get an electrician in" and I understand that in many cases that is the correct advice.

Obviously I'm not belittling in any way the need for"competence" when working on electrical installations but is it the case that there is no such thing as a DIY electrical job?
Unfortunately Mr and Mrs J, Public can buy electrical installation products from the likes of the Orange Shed and some of their Smaller outlets, which in effect means that many people can attempt DIY electrical work, you only have to pay a visit to Big O shed and wonder down the electrical aisle and listen as the public " wonder if this wire is OK for me to wire up my new cooker"
Step by step advice is something I would not do on the forum, not only for the DIYers safety but my sanity as well, you can just see the headlines, Home owner found dead by electrocution after getting advice from an on line Electrical Forum.
So sorry for the long winded reply, although there are some jobs a DIYer can do, change a plug as an example, as for larger jobs leave it for the Professionals, after all would the public attempt any work involving Gas? A bout time the powers that be changed the rules and Policed these rules, and made Electrical work, and the Governing bodies as strict as the Gas Safe, Corgi registration, or whatever it's called thes days.

Changing light fittings might also be considered a DIY task but again the average person always expects only 3 cable to be at the light L,N,E
Then when they take it down and are faced with a typical loop in wiring method, it has them baffled ...
I helped out a mate who is a Painter & Decorator the other day for just such a thing. Normally he's got it worked out as it's just a little move needed, but the Owner had convinced him to change a pendant to an IKEA. On the plus side, he now knows what he doesn't know, if that makes any sense :) .

I would say that replacement of accessories that are the same rating as the existing and anything that does not change the characteristics of the fixed wiring can be a DIY electrical job if the person has the skills and knowledge to be able to do this in a safe manner.
Once you change the characteristics of a circuit then the circuit must be tested and a certificate produced, I cannot see a DIY person bothering to buy the test equipment required even if they knew how to complete the certificate so then you would be failing to comply with the wiring regulations and this may lead to dangerous situations.

I've seen a few faceplate/accessories exchanged by DIY'ers that have been a complete balls up.

Likewise I seen faceplates/accessories exchanged by so called competent electricians that have been a complete balls up.

Reply to Is there such a thing as a "DIY electrical job"? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back