Search the forum,

Discuss Is this installation considered acceptable today? (1-ring including oven and everything else) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd forget the cctv observation -not many tradespeople are going to appreciate that even if they are good ones.

Just ask if you can take some photos. He/she shouldn't have a problem with that. And photos will be clearer than cctv footage anyway.

Re the smoke alarms .... You say the earth is snipped ...... All mains circuits need a continuous cpc from the board to the end of circuit.

How are they interlinked? This isn't an EICR matter btw.

I'm guessing that the smoke alarms should be earthed, although they're plastic bodies into plastic shells so maybe double insulation is acceptable, I'm unsure of their model so can't say without looking into it further.

It looks like the bodies can be twisted and removed, so I'll see if I can at least get a model number to look into them further.

They're connected from a 6A MCB into a switched spur which is then connected on to the smoke alarms. Trunking runs from the output of the spur to each of the smoke alarms.

Testing them, they all go off. All of them except one displays a green LED when the MCB is on.

They are interlinked, takes a second or two for them to all start going so I wondered if it was perhaps a wireless signal interlinking them.

If the 3core has been reduced to two core, which seems to be the case, I'd imagine that they must be wirelessly interlinked to operate.

That may also explain the terrible WiFi signal in my house.

Hi - pretty sure the alarms are 860mHz and only transmit when they've something to report, so they're unlikely to affect your WiFi. If you'd like to try it, turn off your CCTV (recorder and everything) and see if that improves the WiFi throughput :) .

Hi - pretty sure the alarms are 860mHz and only transmit when they've something to report, so they're unlikely to affect your WiFi. If you'd like to try it, turn off your CCTV (recorder and everything) and see if that improves the WiFi throughput :) .

Good to know, so that signal is not going to be even close to WiFi - and longer range which makes sense for safety devices.

I found the WiFi to be dire even before the CCTV got added in, but it definitely adds strain to it!

The solution I came to was to put an AP in the lounge and an AP in the master bedroom, pretty much opposite ends of the house, and it works pretty well.

If I continue to have issue, may split the network for the CCTV and the rest, but I'm in the process of running 12x CAT6 to each room so the WiFi really is non critical for anything intensive by the time I'm done.

Reply to Is this installation considered acceptable today? (1-ring including oven and everything else) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net