Discuss Is this the end of 6 week wonders? New Domestic Gold Card Apprenticeship announced in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrics

Esteemed
Reaction score
New Domestic Apprenticeship announced leading to Domestic Gold Card

Interesting.

Still as clear as mud how this will work but this is probably the thing we've all been waiting for.

Hopefully it will clear the waters and stop DIY Dave having a go - making a Gold Card the standard should make domestic electrics like Gas Safe where people will start to recognise that only those who hold a qualification should be touching them. The beauty of industrial/commercial work is it's extremely hard to get work in those sectors if you're not absolutely 'qualified' with a Gold Card. Some blokes even struggle when they have the qualifications but haven't served their time.

This change in the domestic sector will in turn drive up prices and help real electricians who charge real prices secure the work instead of someone quoting pittance to do a bodge.

What say you, board?

Last edited:
You will never stop DIY electrical work and you will never fully stop Dave the Builder from wiring up his own extension etc

The domestic sector is as bad as its ever been and PartPee made no difference what so ever given by what I see out in the real world. All it did was made my expenses go up in scam fees

You will never stop DIY electrical work and you will never fully stop Dave the Builder from wiring up his own extension etc

The domestic sector is as bad as its ever been and PartPee made no difference what so ever given by what I see out in the real world. All it did was made my expenses go up in scam fees
Nobody is saying it will 'fully' stop it, but having a standard card that clients expect to see is a huge step forward, no?

All we need is an actual law saying it's illegal to touch electrics without the Gold Card and then 90% of the have-a-go competition is wiped out since most people don't like breaking the law.

Result is, prices go up since the majority of people left have had to pay for expensive training, certificates and cards and so will charge what they are worth instead of competing with someone who hasn't paid for anything and learnt his craft on youtube.

As Dusty, it won't make a jot of difference.
And there couldn't be any law saying no-one can touch Domestic without a Gold card, what about all those already working without a gold Card.

As Dusty, it won't make a jot of difference.
And there couldn't be any law saying no-one can touch Domestic without a Gold card, what about all those already working without a gold Card.
Course there could be. There's Gas Safe which is mandated in law. What's the difference?

Laws are just papers pushed through parliament by groups of men. They can make any law they want, all they have to do is agree that you need XYZ qualification to touch electric and make touching it otherwise illegal. Easy to do.

Not having a card might stop commercial electrical firms employing you but just like domestics, there will always be people carrying out commercial work who shouldn't be.
It's much harder to get work in commercial without a Gold Card compared to domestic where literally anyone can just hawk for work.

If the 'standard' becomes a Gold Card for domestic work 6 week courses can't be a thing anymore. They mention in the video that the only other way of getting the card is an 'experienced worker' route which means you have to have experience or do an apprenticeship before you can get it.

That gets rid of almost 100% of those coming from short courses since the courses themselves will cease to offer that service. They will be forced to tell their customers that their courses no longer entitle them to carry out any electrical work and people ain't gonna pay ÂŁ5k+ for a worthless course.

Maybe it's a step in the right direction, but the new course is 3 years, at the end of which there would start to emerge these certified "domestic electricians".
Will there be any government sponsored advertising or public information videos to educate the general public of this new qualification?
What about all the short course candidates that have already been certified as domestic installers?
Will there ever be any move towards making it a legal requirement to only use certified domestic electricians?
Probably not...

Course there could be. There's Gas Safe which is mandated in law. What's the difference?

Laws are just papers pushed through parliament by groups of men. They can make any law they want, all they have to do is agree that you need XYZ qualification to touch electric and make touching it otherwise illegal. Easy to do.
Then why hasn't it been done!

Nobody is saying it will 'fully' stop it, but having a standard card that clients expect to see is a huge step forward, no?

All we need is an actual law saying it's illegal to touch electrics without the Gold Card and then 90% of the have-a-go competition is wiped out since most people don't like breaking the law.

Result is, prices go up since the majority of people left have had to pay for expensive training, certificates and cards and so will charge what they are worth instead of competing with someone who hasn't paid for anything and learnt his craft on youtube.

Will make zero difference in my experience of the past 20+ years doing domestic work.
I never get a home owner ask to see my city n guilds and NEVER get asked if I am part pee.

Will make zero difference in my experience of the past 20+ years doing domestic work.
I never get a home owner ask to see my city n guilds and NEVER get asked if I am part pee.

No customer has ever asked to see any of my qualifications. Not once.
The point is that most people are honest and if it's made illegal to do work without the card, most people will no longer carry out the work.

If those going on 6 week courses know they cannot legally touch any electric afterwards, they will likely choose a different career path.

There will always be a handful of people who will do whatever they want that's the nature of life, but most honest people will simply cease to touch electrics if it's made illegal to do so without a certain card or qualification. (Note i'm talking about those in the trade here, not have a go homeowners)

^^^^^ nor me not been asked once in the 22 years I have been in the electrical industry!
It saddens me to say that it will still make little difference to our trade!?

^^^^^ nor me not been asked once in the 22 years I have been in the electrical industry!
It saddens me to say that it will still make little difference to our trade!?
You don't think most of those currently doing domestic electrics would cease to do so if it were made a criminal offence? At the very least they will get the qualifications this new thing demands or cease to carry out domestic work imo.

Remind me how many DIY Daves or Bob the Builders are doing porridge for breaching Part Pee ???
I would hazard a guess that most of those wanting to get into the industry who are diluting it with crap prices, no skills, etc, would not go down that path should there be a 3-year+ standard to adhere to.

The point of this is that there will be a standard coming in that means the 6 week courses can no longer churn out thousands of 'sparks' a year.

There will ALWAYS be those who will do the work irrespective but picture the scene:

You're looking for a change in career. Electric has always interested you. You look at some youtube vids you think ---- yeah i like the look of this. Pull up some floorboards, lash in some wires, grand a week, easy game.

You then do some research and find out it's illegal to do any of this without a 3 year apprenticeship or going an 'experienced worker' route. You heard about these 6 week courses but find out they're no longer offered since they're not legally allowed to do so, they've been replaced by a 3 year domestic apprenticeship that requires you to work for a firm and gather a portfolio of evidence.

You're telling me this guy is then still gonna just set up on his own? No chance. 90%+ of all those candidates will no longer join the industry.

It's not gonna stop the guy down the pub, the homeowner, the cowboy. But it is going to stop industry dilution of people with no experience and short courses competing with those who put in the real time on an apprenticeship.

That's my take anyway.

Last edited:

Reply to Is this the end of 6 week wonders? New Domestic Gold Card Apprenticeship announced in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net