Discuss Issuing certificates even if not paid in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Years ago i was told that the rule is to issue the electrical certificates
for the work undertaken and completed even if you have not been paid

anyone else agree with this?
Some do and some don't, but in my eyes the job is not a finished item until the cert is issued,

Not entirely. I issue EICRs, EICs etc. and send them with the invoice (electronically or in paper form) but I don't issue the Part P certificate until I've been paid.

I'm with NAPIT and they agreed that the customer paying could be considered as the last part of the job/contract and so the job hasn't been completed until they've paid. Issuing the Part P certificate within 14 days of the customer paying, was therefore then acceptable no matter how long it was after I'd actually finished on site.

I've been stung so many times now that if I'm going to be on a job that's more than a couple of days work, or has lots of up front materials to buy, then my Terms and Conditions are that the customers pays me 50% on commencement of work and 50% on completion, or if it's dragging on due to eg waiting for other trades, 50% of the diminishing, outstanding balance each time I issue a stage invoice.

When I give them my quote they also get the T&Cs and a simple 1 page contract Trading Standards helped me draw up which basically says I'll do what's described in the quote/estimate, and they'll pay me the amount, we both sign it and have a copy. There's a section for any variations that may be required.

If having had the EICR etc they don't pay I just go straight to Money Claim Online (MCOL), add the cost of issuing a summons, interest and any other costs and MCOL send them the summons. Takes me about 20 minutes to do so. I can't be bothered to waste any more of my time than I have to chasing customers and this works rather well.

i think it was on an assessment years ago with nic , that they told me to always issue the certs on completion of works as it covers me for anything that might happen in the future

and its only an issue with me , as my balance of £18 on the nic web site shows over 60 days they will not let me complete it
(i think the payment was done Friday by the way)

but it seem 1 rule for us and a different one for them

i love the niceic , and think its nothing but a money making organisation

how things seemed to of changed

rant over

Tr
What sort of guarantee is that?
With a private customer and someone doing electrical work in their home, the number of instances where the customer is desperate for a certificate is, I'm sure, quite negligible.

True, but as a way to try and stop them using the local cowboy from the pub, if I get the chance, I tell them that "if you've had work done and the electrical work isn't certified properly, it may invalidate your house insurance" seems to focus their interest. As a lot of properties in my area are thatched it's normally correct.

Tr

True, but as a way to try and stop them using the local cowboy from the pub, if I get the chance, I tell them that "if you've had work done and the electrical work isn't certified properly, it may invalidate your house insurance" seems to focus their interest. As a lot of properties in my area are thatched it's normally correct.
What he said ^ most people tend to listen when you say things like that and it can be just a little incentive that you can hold something back local councils not gonna sign off on any works without it if they need to so you don’t get paid your customers nice new loft conversion doesn’t count as a bedroom means they can’t sell it citing the loft as a bedroom

Tr

Many do have common sense and dignity but as to those who aren't paying.... are they bothered?

The idea is to quote the job and get them to sign an agreement to allow you to start work and to agree with your terms. when the work is complete issue a certificate and invoice the job. If you have to take them to court you are in the right every time. You will have the signed form and you can say you did the job to a safe standard and issued the paperwork. They then look very guilty, the chances of them winning any case is low and they will end up paying the court fees, holding back the paperwork IMO makes you look a bit of a Cowboy, just saying :p

Reply to Issuing certificates even if not paid in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net