• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) jib

Discuss jib in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tony345

Whats going on with this jib cartel system that is runing the uk electrical industry?How can you have a governing body whose ruleing board are made up of the directors of all the major electrical contractors in the uk,the situation now is that unless you have a jib card you can not work on any site in the uk,i thought cartels were banned in this country.Not only that point but they also dictate the rate of pay which for obvious reasons is not on.

Whats going on with this jib cartel system that is runing the uk electrical industry?How can you have a governing body whose ruleing board are made up of the directors of all the major electrical contractors in the uk,the situation now is that unless you have a jib card you can not work on any site in the uk,i thought cartels were banned in this country.Not only that point but they also dictate the rate of pay which for obvious reasons is not on.

JIB was formed in the late 60's by the EEPTU (electricians union) and the ECA (contractors Organisation) to set national rates of pay, holiday pay, training, benefits etc across the country.

So if you think they dictate the rates of pay you do not know what you are talking about as the union and ECA who sit down and negotiate over what rates of pay will be paid by JIB companies. If you disagree with this then take it up with the union if you are a member which I doubt from your comments.

People have posted on this site that they have worked for JIB companies one week and have been finished up by them only to be offered their position back the next week on lower rates of pay because the company is no longer a member of the JIB

Last edited:
I see you havent mentioned the cartel bit have you?yes the jib was formed in the sixties then with the help of a active union but the main jib board of directors were the owners of all the big electrical companys they decided this was the way to go so it would be easier for them to control the rates of pay.Obviousley if 10 or more major companies at the time are doing all the major construction works what better way of controling wages and man power than to set up a cartel and control would be so much easier.Getting back to the union side of things you need to wake up and smell the coffee,there is no union at present they are cohutes with the management,they seised to exist since the thatcher days of goverment the good old days of the red robbo days are long gone they dont do anything for the working man any more, management have total control over the labour nowadays.Here is a example for you if you are a naughty boy and upset a mangement person in a electrical contracting firm what they will do is keep moveing you about on different jobs from one end of the country to another,pay you flat money and generaly make life very unpleasent for you untill you adventurely jack the job in.Then you go on ablack list which we all know exists dont we.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes the JIB was formed in the mid 60s ,in fact everybody in the ETU voted on it?funny thing though I HAVE NOT TALKED TO ONE SPARK THAT VOTED YES this could be because after it was formed they realised what they'd lost

yours benji

TO RIGHT MATE WE LOST ALRIGHT,I CANT BELIEVE THEY ARE STILL GOING CARTELS ARE ILLEGAL IN THIS COUNTRY,so how are they getting away with this orgainisation dictateing to thosands of sparkys about rates of pay and black lists they are in total control of the electrical industry in the uk.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When the UK Register of Electricians merged with the JIB Grading System in 1999, the resultant Electrotechnical Certification Scheme became available to everyone, regardless of whether they were working for a JIB Member Company or not.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The ECS offers all electrical craftspeople the opportunity to receive their own card, whether at Managerial/Supervisory, Skilled levels, Ancillary Operatives, Electrical Improvers, Apprentices, Adult Trainees or as Labourers.[/FONT]​

The JIB has become a joke with more and more firms pulling out and firms that are JIB paying way below JIB rates and using subbies. The JIB rate is about the best you can get if you are lucky enough to get it.

I do notice lots of jobs offered require J.I.B cards took 3mths for mine to arrive but although sometimes its an easy pull out of my wallet prof of quals i do think you shouldnt be penalized if you dont have one ! as long as you have your quals etc to back up your sparky claim that should be enough ! I was fed up not getting some work because i didnt have one thats the reason why i was forced to get it although now im self employed and pref house bashing but when i show them the J.I.B/ E.C.S card it seems to have given me an edge for some jobs won so for me the cost of the card was worth it.
Regards
Kung.

Just got back my JIB re registration, they have removed my 16th as I have not shelled out for the 17th money con

They say it’s under the orders of city and gilds, haw long have city and gilds been calling the shots at the jib

the simple fact is that unions should not be in control of trade licensing. It opens the whole thing up to discrimination. especialy when they are deciding what courses are compulosry the periods for renewal and the fact that in Scotland (not england) the renewal fee is double for non union memebers. Its time we got together to stop this as it is going to get worse every year or so.
Johh Jack perthshire

what I sugest is that every electrician in the country sets a date to tear up the cards? and not renew them. It will be interesting to see what happens. Not that anything could

Yes, the so-called JIB pay rates... the biggest joke on the working man EVER!!! Whatever happened to the JIB ENFORCING their member Contactor firms into ALWAYS paying the going JIB rates? If this is so, then why is the average pay rate for a sparkie in London £12ph? £1.35 below the rate for a trainee electrician. They'll nothing but a money making scam. They won't even back their own members, who report the cowboys to the so-called authorities.

what I sugest is that every electrician in the country sets a date to tear up the cards? and not renew them. It will be interesting to see what happens. Not that anything could

You mean that NOT that anything WOULD happen? I don't know what it is about the working man in this country, but we always seem to take s*** off of every man and his dog UNLESS we're actually at war with them!!!

what I mean is that; one of there common answers to complaints about the costs, frequency and control of the JIB license is that it is not actualy legaly compulsory. Which is effectively nonsense as very few electricians could get a job in the country without one and it is a requirement that you are registered with JIB as an aprentice in order to be a regognised electrician.
This policy would backfire on them if most electricians in the country simply refused to comply with a JIB license. It is not against the law to practice as an electrician without license and there is no way companies could fire every electrician.
We just need to spread the word, get together to set a date and ditch the things all at the same time.

I firmly believe they are a cartel. I've done the SECTT test (Scotland) was told I scored well over 90% (I'm not trying to sound smug, just trying to point out the level I passed at), yet could not get an apprenticeship or adult training place as I was just over 25 when I passed the test (I'm 28 now), when I asked a few employers why I got knocked back, the answer...money, younger candidates get subsidised, older candidates don't.
Hacked me off enough I went off and did other things thinking I had to have an apprenticeship to legally do electrical work. (I'm planning to do C+G as an alternative, and go from there, either do self employed domestic electrical maintenance or take further courses in auto electrics)
I recently asked SJIB about what I would have do in terms of courses and experience to get an ECS/CSCS electricians card and was curtly told I would not be issued anything apart from a labourers card, no matter how much experience I had unless I completed a JIB approved apprenticeship / adult training scheme, whereupon I pointed out that I had been told I was highly unlikely get said place by several employers due to the subsidy issue and wasn't there another path I could pursue...the response....basically tough cookies, we make the rules.

That attitude annoyed me enough that I phoned one of the regional MSPs (who happens to be a Tory...someone I normally couldn't find common ground with) to raise an issue that its a conflict of interest to allow those who run the apprenticeship scheme to set the rules for site card issuance and that its age discrimination to only subsidise those below a certain age, also if the standard is an apprenticeship then surely subsidies should be available to any candidate not just those between 2 ages. I also mentioned that I want to work and make a career for myself, and my career path is being obstructed by a body, who are discriminating by age rather than test scores.

I have been told that their education spokesperson is planning to call me to discuss the Tory position, but that it boils down to, that they are aware that there are big problems with the apprentice system as it stands, that people like myself are being blocked from taking up a career, that there is no clear path for those who are looking to retrain into a trade and that action needs to be taken to reform the system, however part of the issue in Scotland is that some of the relevant legislation is reserved and some is devolved, so neither parliament has full ownership of the issue and its a slightly grey area.

(I tried my constituency SNP MSP first, but his aide was highly rude and accused me of "whining that I couldn't find work because I'm too old" - Am I permitted to mention said aide's name??, the SNP are getting a letter of complaint about her attitude).
I don't think its too much to ask for a level playing field, is it? Surely the industry should be trying to attract candidates with the greatest aptitude?
Pardon any grammar and spelling errors, I'm knackered from doing a lot of landscaping work today.

Last edited:
jib and unite aint worth ****e,,,,,,both just take the money and do bugger all for uk workers,,,,,u wait til the next lot of big projects start up all the jib sparks will be eastern europeans working for fk all on them..

Reply to jib in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back