Discuss junction box method in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Buzz-light-bulb

Hello electricians

Today I've come across a lighting circuit, when doing a eicr as you do, and what I have witnessed is the lighting is wired using the junction box method with the earths wrapped around the box. All separate earths go to each point. What code would this warrant.

Code 3 imho but others may see differently.

If you have to untwist all the CPC's external to the JB, its not good. Get them in the JB or if you dont have enough room, change it to a more adequate size.

I would give it a 2 this is the old fashioned method of joining earths when I was younginsulate them and put them in the box as paul.m says no chance of fire risk then

I've just requested the lights be rewired as its a bungalow, and there is insulation present

That boils down to manufacturers instructions, probably 10cm circumference from the light fitting. No need to rewire just for the insulation mate. Unless the cable has been damaged by it other the years, thats a different matter.

If!! I were to touch that jb . Without looking at it id probably get adaptable box compression glands . And adequately terminate the hell outa tha suckaaaa ! If there isn't space for cpc to be terminated within existing jb doubt there is space for 30a connector

. Plus as it stands , and providing test readings ok c3 all the way

Last edited:
It will be for spider lighting circuit, one perm t&e up to the loft and they cant get all the earths in the same JB. Resolve at the time was to rap the earths around the box like a Christmas present and twist the ends, do tests and all is well 40-50 years ago.

Things have changed since then and we would never do that on a new install BUT it still works now so how do you code it??? It dose need attention so C3 it is for me.

This where someone of an older age jumps on the thread that use to go to school with Joseph Swan and has a go at us for slagging off the 9th Ed Wiring Regs lol.

I would give it a 2 this is the old fashioned method of joining earths when I was younginsulate them and put them in the box as paul.m says no chance of fire risk then
and on what basis would you award it a 2?

check out what constitutes a 2 first will you before posting...

next you will be telling us that lack of RCDs is a 2....as i have seen in here just lately...

That wrapping the earths of T&E cable under the old circular 4 way JB's and twisting together into a 10A connector was common practice for donkey's years. Never known such worked JB's to ever cause a problem when it was done well. Code 3 max, if only because the wiring systems cable will be getting on in years now!! lol!!

Yes it was called spidering normally on lighting circuits using 4 or 6 term 20 amp junction boxes. Good when doing a rewire less cable usage less floor boards to lift (not having to worry about that loop feed) ha ha.

Yes it was called spidering normally on lighting circuits using 4 or 6 term 20 amp junction boxes. Good when doing a rewire less cable usage less floor boards to lift (not having to worry about that loop feed) ha ha.

Lol - how basic electrical wiring of previous generations enters the realms of wonder and incredulity.

Its good to know, at least, that electrical transverse waveform energy is still 'current'

biggest drawback with that system was that there was only 1 T/E at the light fitting, so DIY dave could change a fitting without buggering the connections up, thus doing us poor sparks out of n after hours £60 call-out.

biggest drawback with that system was that there was only 1 T/E at the light fitting, so DIY dave could change a fitting without buggering the connections up, thus doing us poor sparks out of n after hours £60 call-out.
Aye reminds me of a bloke where I used to live,he was changing a light in the kitchen from a normal lampholder to a florry he mentioned it and as I knew him said I'd do it for 20 smokes,10 mins and he was a mate of the father in law.Anyway he says he can manage,next day he comes back and says he's got a fault,the lights on all the time except when you flick the switch on then it blows the fuse.Oh the joys of unsleeved switch wires.

Reply to junction box method in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net