Discuss Just completed HNC, looking for something more specialized (West Midlands based) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Timbits

Hi guys,

After a bit of advice really! I am a time served spark based in the Warwickshire area and I am wanting to specialize in either automation/control or try to get into HV/commissioning and associated work.

I have 6 years post apprenticeship experience and have spent the last 3 offshore in both construction and maintenance. I work a 21/21 day on/off rota so have plenty of spare time to dedicate to this, and have just completed a HNC on block release, with a view to doing a HND next term.

Ideally, I'm looking for anyone within reasonable commute of the Leamington/Warwick/Coventry area that I could voluntarily shadow/assist to gain an understanding and more in depth experience in these fields on my time off.

I appreciate it’s a niche side of the industry and would assume that most guys probably started out doing this in their apprenticeships, however, I'm motivated, well up for the challenge and always reliable.

If anyone has any pointers or has gone down a similar route as I wish to, I'd be more than happy to receive any advice. In addition to this, if there are any other sectors/specializations you would also recommend then I'd also be interested in hearing about these.

Apologies for banging on a bit!

Many thanks in advance, Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi dude,congratulations on your course completion. I reckon you could increase the advice given,by adding a couple of details,such as what specifically,your work currently involves.

Also,the reasons for wanting the change,is it the interest or the money,you are following? No shame in stating either.

The only reason i ask,is a fellow i spoke to once,told me he did the occasional off-shore electrical contract...further discussion revealed he did a few jobs in the arcade,at the end of Llandudno pier...noble,but not not oil/gas Nigeria way...:conehead:

Hi Steve,
I did something quite similar I am a qualified electrician and then done my HNC at night school. I now work for my local DNO in the northwest and am authorised to work on equipment upto 132kV under supervision (only been here 2 years). Companies like Western power network, national grid and network rail offer HNC programs for engineers who have experience and a HNC. They take you on and train you in their industry normally a drop in pay for the training but then decent money at the end. I sometimes find it quite slow as I come from a contracting industry but if that doesent bother you its a good way to go.

Thanks for the replies.

PEG - I work in the North Sea on an oil platform at the minute. General electrical maintenance really, motors, lighting, fire&gas, isolations and the like. I'm after a change for something where I'll learn more and where I'm not working away quite as often. As I work for a services company and not an operator we don't get all the decent jobs and perks like the boys that work for the likes of Shell, BP, Nexen do! Don't get me wrong the money and time off are great but at the end of the day I'm looking for more of a long term career.

Fadox21 - Some great ideas there. Funnily enough I was having a look at the rail companies only the other day! Just missed the intakes for this year but will definitely apply for the next time round. I will get in touch with the local DNO's as HV work is always somethings that's appealed to me. Just out of curiosity, did you have any background in it before you applied?

Reply to Just completed HNC, looking for something more specialized (West Midlands based) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net